LRH to the range again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earnhard3

Reaction score
I've had a bit of time and with the Iowa hunt getting closer... I took the LRH hunter to the range to try a few new things.

Last time at 200 yards I was shooting 130 gr of bh209 209m cci primers and 250gr barnes poly tips.

I was perfect for the left/right on the target. However the height was wrong. I was told trying to use a smaller amount of bh209 in whichh I did. I went to 110 gr by weight. I also taped a line on the ram rod and everyload was load was seated the same.

100 yards 4 shots where done. All I was happy with 1.25" I would say without measuring.

200 yards I did 2 shots then left. 1 shot was 4" to the right, 3" high 2nd shot was 5" to the right, 4" high.

I'm tossing the bh209 and 209m primers in the trash, if the next step works. I'm going to 777 pellets and the whatever bullets/sabots work the best. I have 6 different bullets- in 4 different weights. and 4 different sabots sizes.

Unless anyone else has a idea. I know this gun can shoot. 1.25" is horrible but I'm no bench shooter. At 200 yards I will hit a deer. Just at 200 yards the bullet isn't going to be anywhere near where I aim.

200 isnt easy, especially under field conditions. You just need to get more range time with the 200 yard shots and practice.

BH 110 will be a better load than T7 pellets, just needs more practice to work out at 200 yds. Thats a long shot with a muzzleloader to begin with.

110 grains by weight is a stout load. You sure you didn't mean by volume.

Volume Measured Charge...............Weighed Charge
110 Grains.....................................78.1 Grains

An accurate 100 yard load does not make an accurate 200 yard load. I use to start at 50 yards shooting until I was getting clover leafs. I would then go to 100 expecting 1" groups and would get 3" to 6" groups. Last year I finally had an accuarte 100 yard load, but it was not so good at 150 yards. This year I finally have an accurate 200 yard load that can shot clay piegons at 210 yards after 10 years of working with this gun. You just need more time at the range trying different combinations. BH 209 is the powder that I am using now.

jsteurrys do you mind sharring your 200 yard load.

I have two. I am using an old .50 caliber DISC Original with the 24" barrel. It has been upgraded with an Extreme Stock and Extreme Breechplug conversion. I am using the NFPJ breechplug currently as it is much cleaner than the FPJs. The powder is BH 209 and the primers Federal 209As. The first load is a 200 gr Hornady SST in a MMP .50/.40 Blue Sabot with 120 grains (84 gr by weight) of powder. The second load is a 195 gr Barnes MZ in a MMP .50/.40 Blue Sabot with 130 grains (91 gr by weight) of powder. Before anyone wants to call me out on the second load, I reviewed the load with Knight and look at what Lee9 has been doing. The 200 gr SST load goes an 1" to just under and the 195 gr Barnes goes 1" to 1 1/8". Both of these bullets are offered for .45s. I just replace the sabots with MMPs as the Harvesters are too loose in my barrel. Good Luck and be careful.

That is very similar to the load I use in my Knight. I use a 200 grain SST with the blue MMP sabot. 105 grains of Blackhorn209 with a CCIM primer. I also use the NFPJ breech plug. I can consistently put 5 shots into a 1.5" group at 100 meters with this load. I tried the Harvestor sabots but they are a little looser and I had trouble lighting the B209 off.

I'm starting to hate muzzleloaders.

I need like a chart of what people used in myh gun for 100 yards and 200 yards. Itys not a choice to swap loads and stuff when deer hunting. with what limited time I have to go shoot I will never have time to try other things. I might just screw the LRH I bought andf go to powerbelts and my dunhams special wolf magnum cva....thing never failed me. I would never shoot over 200 yards thats for sure but I know at 100 yards it dead on and at 200 yards its 6.5" low....no guess work like the LRH I have.

my 200 yard load with my cva accura is the 250gr ballistic tip thor conical with 105gr Pyrodex RS. It sure has a good drop by the time it gets out to 200 yards but the accuracy at 200 is amazing.

Whats your current load set up now with the knight?

What am I missing here, sounds to me like you had about a 1.5 inch 200 yard group? Is that right? That is a great shooting gun in anyones book. A slight breeze from the left could account for the move to the right. I can't account for the height, but I would shoot some more before I give up on that one. You may have one flat shooting combination.

If you are starting to hate muzzleloaders with this, then you may need to stick to centerfires. Muzzys are NOT centerfires. Every gun is a little different and likes different things, and wind affect these bullets A LOT. To most of us who like to tinker, this makes them more interesting. It can be frustrating at times, but it makes finding that sweet spot that much better. That is why no one can tell you what will shoot well in YOUR gun. There is no other way but trying different things yourself.

Just reading your text , I get the opinion that you are a long time Centerfire shooter. I also get the feeling that you have NOT logged in that much rangetime with the Muzzie. I am relativley new to the BP scene myself. About 18 months and I can tell you, I am still looking for the PERFECT Hunting load. I have 3 or 4 decent loads that I have no worries
about hunting with. I have tried other listed loads here & found them to be adequite in my rifle , but NOT perfect. Here in my area of NW lower Michigan a 125 yard shot is a long one and that is my limit. Anything farther & I let them walk. All I can tell you is that if you are not happy with your equipment this year...Don't RUSH and get it together for next year. This is supposed to be fun, so take your time & enjoy!!!That good load WILL show up one of these days. I wish you good shooting.
Art :wink:

The most accurate load in my LRH was 110gBh209, cci209m and a 250g sst with mmp short sabot

Latest posts

Back