Finishing touches on deer season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaughlin72

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted on here, computer crashed and lost the login info.. This was a late season hunt at a nwr in central louisiana. Here is the post that I did on another website.

Well, this weekend was the date for our lottery muzzleloader hunt over at Lake Ophelia nwr, my youngest son didn't get a chance to shoot, but he did see 3 pigs and then a doe fly by him.
I on the other hand ended hunting about 200 yards from him in a place that I didn't like and didn't really want to hunt, but I stayed there anyways and it paid off big time. We were catching the tail end of the rut and this big boy came out chasing a doe just after 3 saturday evening... Enjoy the pics, my head is still swolen a little from it, it is a once in a lifetime buck for someone from south Louisiana without having to go to Missouri or Iowa or some other northern state....

He was skinny from running does, he weighed in at 180lbs and the game wardens said if I would have got him at the beginning of the rut he should have been around 240-250 lbs.
Had to shoot him through a bunch of little trees at about 100 yards.

They(wlf) counted him as a 13 point.... 19 inch spread, 5 inch cir at the base on one side, 5.25 on the other... one main beam 21" and the other 22"
One of them told me he should score somewhere between 160-180 green...but idk

50 cal CVA Optima Pro
100g pyrodex powder
250g TC Shockwaves

Photo_011709_001.jpg

Photo_011709_006.jpg

Photo_011709_005.jpg

100_3285.jpg

100_3288.jpg

100_3287.jpg

100_3289.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I found another pic from when they had him hanging at the check station and I wanted to post it to show the size of his neck.
100_3291-1.jpg

I have been meaning to post a few pics of the mount when I got it back, but never got around to it. Not the best quality pics, not sure where the digital camera is, so here are a couple from my cell phone. I just wanted to show some of the detail that this guy puts into his work.
David's Custom Taxidermy in Deridder, La.

deer2.jpg

deer3.jpg

If I remember right,the taxidermist told me that he measured it out and on a Boone and Crocket it would score 139 7/8 because of the deductions. But on a Buckmasters score, it would go 168 1/8... I never will understand why a rack has to be so semetrically perfect for B&C, thats like taking 20 something inches away from a rack, if the horns are there, they should count them, not deduct for them being longer on one side

Beautiful buck, and a great life like mount! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the pics and story. That's a very nice mature buck right there, one to be braggin on for a LONG time!

Thanks for sharing the pictures man great looking buck congratulations

He's a Magilla fer sur!

You can be proud....stick out that chest an BUST those buttons!!!

Nice 8)

score

I finally got around to bringing the mount to Wildlife and Fisheries to get it scored. They called me said I could come pick it up. The official score from Louisiana WIldlife and Fisheries is 140 7/8. The taxidermist was close with his score, only missed it by 1 inch.

Great buck, the memories are much more important than a number someone else assigns it.

That is a great trophy! Good job! A number is just that a number. It's a TROPHY BUCK!

Back