My New Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I had gone to an inline with a scope because of my poor vision. As someone who has hunted with nothing but a PRB since 1980 it felt bad to use an inline. It felt bad enough that I couldn't do it and I sold it all to the local gun shop and gave up hunting. It's not my style to give up on anything and I was feeling really bad.

So, a few days ago I went back to the gun store to see what he had. I can't handle a long barrel anymore because of my lousy back. I was thinking maybe a used TC Renegade or Hawken. Maybe a Lyman Trade rifle. Something with no more than a 28" barrel but Hawken style. I can't handle a good replica of a Hawken anymore, so I need to compromise.

He had a new Traditions Woodsman like Jon uses. It felt pretty good. No cheekpiece, so it doesn't look goofy shooting it left-handed. I lost the sight in my right eye and had to switch to shooting left-handed. The wood to metal fit was really good. Lock and set trigger worked smooth. Overall the gun wasn't heavy and had good balance. It didn't feel barrel heavy at all and made my back was smiling. So, I bought it.

I'm going to make the hunt easy for me and just hunt for deer. My vision hasn't changed, so i'll have to sneak in closer than ever to use the open sights. That's fine. Still hunting in close has always been my method of hunting. I think 70gr of Goex 3F should be good for a muley.

I'm going to make the hunt easy for me and just hunt for deer. My vision hasn't changed, so i'll have to sneak in closer than ever to use the open sights. That's fine. Still hunting in close has always been my method of hunting. I think 70gr of Goex 3F should be good for a muley.

Finally Pete you can now workup a good load and setlle down with liking your new toy. Good luck old friend, I'm glad to see you have a gun that will work for your health conditions. :thumbs up: :coffee:

Thanks Buck. I was hoping to stick around here but I can't deal with Stan.

Later my friend. I'm going to send you some money for the powder.

I'll be on the forum talking to Jon in PM's if he 's not mad at me because of Stan. So, you can always PM me.

I just think it's best if I don't post. More peaceful. :)

We disagree Pete, your a lot of fun guy, we all have our issues.

I always think about myself - if I'm too pushy ... then I think about you Pete and I feel better .... :rolleyes: 🤣 😆 😊

**** look at what Jonathan has had to put up with all these years with an old fart like Stan ... 🤩 That would make anyone's eyes go red ...

Thanks Buck. I was hoping to stick around here but I can't deal with Stan.

Later my friend. I'm going to send you some money for the powder.
Awww...come on Pete...it's no fun without you. I'm as easy as pie to get along with..😔

I see no reason to withdraw from posting. Also there is no reason not to challenge statements, sources and even opinions. But attacking the person is what ruffles feathers. One poster will never change any other poster's mind, so be satisfied with supplying vetted (as possible) information. Also there are lots of smileys to add to a post that will point out humor or at least lighten the conflict. Hanshi has spoken! :coffee:

I don't want to rag on Jon's dad. Otherwise, i'd tell him off and be done with it.

Maybe i'll just ignore him and stay away for political/religious threads.
Hi Pete,
I do hope you'll stay around here.
I know we are all too old to be messing with each other's feelings, but sometimes the old man just jumps out.
I have to believe there is basic good and caring in all of us (even me) :)

I see no reason to withdraw from posting. Also there is no reason not to challenge statements, sources and even opinions. But attacking the person is what ruffles feathers. One poster will never change any other poster's mind, so be satisfied with supplying vetted (as possible) information. Also there are lots of smileys to add to a post that will point out humor or at least lighten the conflict. Hanshi has spoken! :coffee:
Calm down son...yer dander is liftin'....I just happen to believe deeply in FREEDOM and the folks that gave all to preserve this Country...

Did I miss something? I thought this discussion was about a new hunting rifle?

I realized just the other day that I don't have any opinions! Don't know what happened; they just left me. YIKES!

Latest posts

Back