Any difference between 26" and 28" T/C barrels?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Well I thought I was leaning towards a Triumph but made the mistake of surfing the web some more and finding other models therefore confusing my decision. I noticed several variations of the Encore, Endeavor, and Pro Hunter and found the chart below that pretty much explains the differences:

Felxtech stocks, fluted barrels, 28" versu 26" barrels - but the standard #3965 gives me a thumbhole composite and stainless barrel which are two things I'd like to have.

This standard #3965 come with a 26" barrel compared to 28" on other models I've been lookinh at. What difference will I see for 2" less barrel? My MK85 was only 24" from the muzzle to the front of the breech plug.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encoreMu ... Charts.php

At most, 2 more inches "might" gain you 150fps depending on the charge, sabot and bullet weight.

The Green Mountain 54cal Brush gun has a 20" barrel and will drive a 300gr bullet over 1700fps with ease.

IMO 26" is good enough for typical hunting loads but "magnum" charges will take a hit in fps. I highly doubt deer sized game will know the difference of 150fps from a bullet within the kill zone.

You should try to handle both barrel lengths, I love the muzzle heavy feel of a 28" fluted Prohunter - helps me hold very steady in a centerfire. The Triumph is also a very nice pointing weapon. Some people hate it though. I've had 2 Encores, a Triumph and 2 Omegas, I'm a diehard Omega fan and find the platform very accurate and forgiving with the Triumph a close 2cd and both are 28". The ballistic difference is trivial for most hunters, unless you expect to shoot 200 + yds without a rangefinder. It might buy you 20 yds point blank...never ran the ballistics though.

no difference between a 26 or 28 inch barrel and the deer won't know it either ,handle a few ML and buy what feels best to YOU ...forget the MAGNUM loads waste of money and most of the time accuracy will be horrible...it is more important to practice on the range with moderat loads . i have shot the TRIUMPH on the range and was very impressed with the accuracy ,well balanced ,easy to load and NO BLOW-BACK ..

With the new Blackhorn powder which I feel is the best and at its best in TC inlines the barrel length is not as important as it is with black powder or some of the other subs. Buy what fits and feels good you will probably shoot it better.

My son's Triumph is a great gun. Light weight for carrying around in the field. Accurate. No blow back at all. Easy cleaning. I think if you got one you would like, but if you want a thumbhole stock and SS barrel, I would get the Encore. My nephew loves his.

Back