Best Starter Muzzleloader??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aweathers76

Reaction score
Just getting started in muzzleloaders. Will be using primarily for deer hunting. What is a good first muzzleloader :?: :?: :?:

Don't take this wrong but its almost like asking what the best basketball shoe is for someone just getting into basketball.

Any of the newer name brands will serve you very well, everyone has their own preferances. I would hit your local shot and start fondling them and see what fits you best. I have one sidelock, one olt actiona nd one break action. I like my new break action (CVA Accura) the best. Its the easiest to clean, all stainless steel, and a VERY nice trigger.

Thank you.

I am quickly realizing there is a wide range of options. I appreciate your response as I want some opinions from experienced muzzleloader hunters before I hit the store.

Another question, is there an advantage to a .45 over a .50 when hunting deer?

I agree with shooter. You gotta find one that feels good in your hands. Comfort and ease of use first and foremost. Don't worry about brand name either, all brands have decent starter guns for a decent price.

I don't have any real experience with the rifle, but people have been reporting good success with the little CVA Wolf model. The Accura would be a nice step up from there though.

So far as .45 vs .50 - one holds no real advantage over the other for deer hunting but the .50 will be much easier to find components for at the present. Either is capable of plenty of power for deer, unless you might be considering round balls in which case I consider the .45 to be far more limited than the .50.

If using heavy full-bore sized conicals - the .45 might actually enjoy a small margin of advantage at longer ranges. But I would say not enough to get excited about.

If considering sabot'd bullets, the .50 can shoot essentially anything the .45 can but the reverse is not true.

The above suggestions are quite sound, go handle a few and see what you like. The choices for many are limited by finances. If you can afford a gun in the 300-400 dollar range, your options are greater and quality is generally quite good. One thing that increases the price tag is creature comforts. You pay for convenience. One thing to be aware of, There is No Known Cure.

Thanks again for the feedback. I went to Gander Mtn. this PM and handled some rifles. I only handled a few though b/c they quickly got out of my price range and I did not want to get excited about something I couldn't realistically afford right now.

I handled the CVA Wolf, Acura, and Electra. I did not like the Electra. I preffered the break action of the Wolf and the Accura. The Wolf was OK (and more affordable) but I preffered the feel of the pistol grip stock and the balance of the Accura. The one I would really like to get was the CVA Accura Magnum BP.

I also checked ot a Nikon Prostaff scope and I liked it as well.

I am going to check pricing at Cabella's b/c theirs I seem to remember were more affordable. Do any of you guys that live in Michigan have any other suggestions of were to shop. Is Jay's sporting goods in Clare good or are their any independent sporting shops I shoulc check out? I live south of Muskegon.

Thanks for any additional feedback!

get a good one ...right from the start and keep it ..i would get the T/C TRIUMPH ..made in the USA and quality built ..it will last you a lifetime. get the .50 cal ....

black powder said:
get a good one ...right from the start and keep it ..i would get the T/C TRIUMPH ..made in the USA and quality built ..it will last you a lifetime. get the .50 cal ....
........x2

This is the time of year Walmart discounts there tc omegas. Some even have the starter kit with them.

I have seen the Omega's at Wally world on sale for 249.99 or maybe 229.99 Within the last week,that is a great ML for at about the Dollar....Right?
Just my 2Cents

Accura for $239 at Cabelas is hard to beat and as mentioned has a great trigger. Stainless models start at $289.

But buy what "fits" you.

I wanted to add a 45 so the Accura was about the only current inline model available but only in the most expensive model for $389. Cabelas is now out of them in my area. I already have 2 50cals so........

A 45 doesnt have any big advantage except maybe if you shoot pure lead conical bullets. Even then the difference will be small.

50cal is the current "standard" and offers far more options in sabots and bullet weights that will shoot accurately.

I say get a knight extreme. They went out of buisness, but they make a really good muzzle loader. I tell you what two years ago i asked the same question and the majority of the people that answered on this site told me to go with knight. Well i did and i couldnt be more pleased. This gun shoots awsome. You can get them for a really good price right now. Just my 2

This is the right time of year to buy a ML as you will find clearance pricing.

I have the Thompson Center Omega with a Bushnell Banner scope. It is reliable, inexpensive, accurate and easy to clean. The gun has served me well for three years and will last many more if I take care of it. This gun got me interested in ML when price was a problem barrier for me.

I''m now starting to look for a quality second ML which may never have happened had low priced ML not been available.

Back