My Hand-tie Salmon Flies...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
Can't wait to get my boat out soon for Lakers and Salmon.  Here a baker's dozen on some of my personal hand-ties... 
6ggDKZ0.jpg

YELLOW GRIZ
G2ygpp6.jpg

YELLOW DUSTER
o8c0F3j.jpg

RED BULLIT
XmE2Bmn.jpg

ROOSTIR
GKUw0m9.jpg

WHITE TURKIE
8JHxI3l.jpg

STINGER
HSd1Lx5.jpg

MUD MASTER
BgyqgUP.jpg

MARTY’S STRIPER
vi60Pu2.jpg

HALEE’S COMET
YMrnNfa.jpg

WHITE MAC
LHxX6Qe.jpg

GHOST RIDER
JSsTNGb.jpg

BLUETAIL
eT4LV6Z.jpg

PEPPARMINT

Love the White Turkey and Stinger. Flash even catches my eye. Gotta be deadly on Salmon a times.

MattRaymond said:
Good to know, I just moved to Longmeadow
Don't forget to check-out Wachusett Reservoir...relative to the Quabbin.  It's another high quality water source.  Although restricted to shore fishing only, it has a good variety of trout and bass species among others.

Firestick said:
Love the White Turkey and Stinger. Flash even catches my eye. Gotta be deadly on Salmon a times.
They work great when they want flashy.   WHITE TURKIE sinks quickly.  ROOSTIR is my all-time go-to...kinda like the Royal Coachman when I don't know what they want that day.
It's hard for me to pick a favorite since they all have a selective nitch.

Masterful work Marty. They are real beauties for sure. Maybe you know about it, but check out a book by Mike Valla. It's called Tying Catskill - Style Dry Flies. When he was a kid, Walt Dette took a liking to him and taught him how to fly fish. Later he taught him how to tie Catskill flies. Mike's flies are gorgeous with perfect hackles. Been trying to perfect my own tying but his are something to strive for. Looks like you have mastered the art.

Hey Marty, have you read the book “The Feather Thief”? It’s a great read!

:) Thanks flashpoint and MattRaymond... I haven’t read either, but will certainly put them on my growing list. I’m ALWAYS looking for a good read on fishing!
Flashpoint, it hard to beat tying with the best quality capes you can afford. For DRYs I never skimp and use premium-quality hackle feather capes such METZ Capes. You need a good stiff hackle to ride the water top (and also to make your fly look neater!). As far as tying material goes, having trapped furbearers combined with small and large game hunting I’m never without a good source of natural fur and feather materials. I've used muskrat and mink fur for dubbing on MANY of my favorite trout flies.

I like to use a fly just like a lure. I use my spinning rod with a 3' tipit and drag the fly just below the water. This works great on the high cold water lakes like Hahn's Peak lake, North Lake, Bear & Blue lakes up in Colorado. I was catching trout left and right this way. There was a guy in one of those fancy fly fishing floats up in Hahn's peak and he finally came over because he wasn't catching anything. He said, "I've been watching you catch fish consistently and I haven't caught anything, what are you using"? I showed him what I was using and told him it works great. He put all his gear away and left.

I like to use a fly just like a lure. I use my spinning rod with a 3' tipit and drag the fly just below the water. This works great on the high cold water lakes like Hahn's Peak lake, North Lake, Bear & Blue lakes up in Colorado. I was catching trout left and right this way. There was a guy in one of those fancy fly fishing floats up in Hahn's peak and he finally came over because he wasn't catching anything. He said, "I've been watching you catch fish consistently and I haven't caught anything, what are you using"? I showed him what I was using and told him it works great. He put all his gear away and left.
Delivering a FLY with a Spinning Rod rig is MUCH frowned-upon among your "traditional" fly-rod fishermen. However 🤫, I've done it sparingly in the past with success when the stream spring levels were running too high for the Fly Rod. I would use a clear bobber to get the FLY out into the middle of the current.

I like the white turkey and stinger for salmon. They all look good for togue. Nice job Marty

Hey Marty, have you read the book “The Feather Thief”? It’s a great read!
Hey MattRaymond, I have this book in my personal archive.
j1Vdrwt.jpg

00u2TYT.jpg

Joe Brooks was my "go-to" source when I first started FLY-Fishing. It's a great read and superb reference book.

Sweet, “The Feather Thief” is a non-fiction book about a major heist of rare specimens of birds that were collected by Charles Darwin from a natural history museum in Britain. The feathers were stolen to be sold on the black market of high end salmon flies. Interesting read for sure.

Have fished Quabbin, about 30miles north .
Have used a streamer name of Pink Quabbin Special? - #6 tandem streamer, bought at a fly shop
on rt.122 Orange MA. something like 35yrs. ago.

:) Thanks flashpoint and MattRaymond... I haven’t read either, but will certainly put them on my growing list. I’m ALWAYS looking for a good read on fishing!
Flashpoint, it hard to beat tying with the best quality capes you can afford. For DRYs I never skimp and use premium-quality hackle feather capes such METZ Capes. You need a good stiff hackle to ride the water top (and also to make your fly look neater!). As far as tying material goes, having trapped furbearers combined with small and large game hunting I’m never without a good source of natural fur and feather materials. I've used muskrat and mink fur for dubbing on MANY of my favorite trout flies.
[Thanks Marty. I will check out Metz. I was lucky though to get my hands on a few Whitings. Once I tie some, I'll post a picture although not sure if my camrers will capture a #22 lol. Best FP

Latest posts

Back