Gold Dot VS XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Sabotloader gave me 12 gold dots to try , so this morning i thought i would see where they shot compared to the XTP . I shot the gold dot first then the XTP , shot 4 of each , one GD then one XTP and so forth . after the first 3 shots i was no longer cutting paper they when in the same hole . What i thought was 50 yards at the range in the hills behind my home is only 46 ( used my new range finder ) not 50 . So this is a 8 shot group , 4 Gold Dots and 4 XTP all 300 grain .452 . So still have some gold Dots left that Sabotloader ( thank you ) gave me and i will see how they do on a elk ( i hope ) next week . Also now that i got the bugs out of my encore i am also VERY VERY impressed with it . The last few outings since i put JBweld in the forearm , started using 777 and the .25 acp conversion My encore puts every bullet in the same hole . So i can use the xtp for target and the Gold dots for hunting if needed, being they shoot the same .

:D :D :D

golddotxtptestDSCN0330.jpg

UtahRob

Dang! that is a good group... Semi will be proud of that group for sure....

I really think you will like that Gold Dot on elk... Speer redesigned the nose of the bullet several years ago to get the BC higher and the new design also helps control expansion better through thick skinned animals.

Great shootin, I may try the J-B on the forend and see if it tightens up my groups.

sabotloader said:
saxman1

Question? Is the rifle in the Avatar - the Encore you just put up for sale in the clasifieds?

Yes it is.
I no longer have the Camo stock
That is on Utah Robs gun.We did some trading.

sabotloader said:
UtahRob

Dang! that is a good group... Semi will be proud of that one for sure....

MY 1x scope covers the dot and the black cross/ lines line up perfect with my scopes cross hairs , I also use a sand bag under the butt and a tripod in front , no movement whatsoever .

Thanks again for the GD s !!!!! The first shot went right were the XTP s did the last time out . Its nice having two bullets shooting the same spot . Being that the xtps are cheaper i will use them for targets and the GD for hunting . I have 200 300 grain xtps to use up !!! Also the777 powder rocks !!! one went patch ( spit) and one dry was all i had to do at the range between shots and i also did one wet patch after the final shot ( only shot 9 ) 8 on paper and one at 102 yards at a base ball size rock and destroyed it . When i got home it took one patch with #9 and there was very little on it , one dry and one with oil and that was it . Nothing in the threads of the breech plug thanks to the Teflon Tape . Just soo many good tips on this forum !! :D :D

saxman1 said:
sabotloader said:
saxman1

Question? Is the rifle in the Avatar - the Encore you just put up for sale in the clasifieds?

Yes it is.
I no longer have the Camo stock
That is on Utah Robs gun.We did some trading.

yep and i love the stocks , helped me get my last buck . With that camo stock the buck never saw me , i just hid behind the stock .

:wink: :wink:

TJJ said:
Great shootin, I may try the J-B on the forend and see if it tightens up my groups.

The only place my forearm touches is at the bottom of the forearm lugs ( if thats what they are called ) The rest of the forearm is floated . I also have a 1x hinge pin from Bellm , stronger lock up bar spring , filled the butt stock with faom and in the grip where the bolt goes through tp hold the butt stock to the receiver i also added JBweld and shims on each side of the grip to remove the space . Both my stocks kept working loose but i cured that , they slip on very tight now . also in photo #3 i have super glues a SS washer in each hole to make the hole match the bolt . Both my forearm and butt stock had holes way bigger than the bolt and screws needed . Very sloppy !! One more thing i have marked the forearm screw #1 and #2 and tighten them to the same spot every time . Which of these things made the biggest improvement ??? i don't know, but it sure was fun doing it all .

forearmwork3_MG_4270.jpg

forearmwork1_MG_4271.jpg

forearmwork2_MG_4266.jpg

screwDSCN0333.jpg

b_vanfossen

why do you prefer to hunt with the gold dots compared to the XTP's?

If it is alright i would like to give you my answer on that question....

1. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet it can not separate copper from the lead. On occasion a XTP can

2. The Gold Dot is created to have controlled expansion to a given point then continue driving.

3. The Gold Dot has a higher BC and thus flies faster etains velocity farther down range...

4. Downside... they cost a bit more than the XTP.

But after all of that do not get me wrong the XTP is a good bullet, but from my shooting and experimenting the Gold Dot for me is a better bullet.

And again just my opinion...

That's awesome Rob! I haven't got to test both together out of my Omega yet. I'm hoping they both group that well together out of my Omega.

Back