long range muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger8mm

Reaction score
how much does a 300gr xtp drop at 150 or 200. how much at 300? how about with magnum charges? how about 300?

Not enough info.What gun,primer,what do you consider a magnum load,what powder?
Best way to find out for YOUR gun is to go shoot it and keep a record of what you have done so you can go back to it and repete the same results.

i dont care what muzzleloader you are shooting, 300 yards is just to damned far for normal field shooting! 200 yards is really pushing it if you dont have a solid rest. Save those big 300 yard shots for the centerfire.

There is probably 1 in 100 guys who should even attempt a 300 yard shot in the field. I am not one of them. Now if you want to discuss long range where 150 yards is long range, then we can talk.

Uh.. . . . . I don't think it was said that he (or she) was shooting that far. Just asking a question. I would check their website and see if any tables are available. I am curious myself cause I want to do some long range shooting.

Here is one site I came across with some numbers on different bullets. The 300 grain XTP is on the bottom of the list with the most drop at 200 yards.

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/bullet_ ... rison.html

well i shot 200 yards with my wolverine with 100gr loads and it was about 18" low. gonna try 120gr to see if this makes a difference. gonna start with 100 in my new omega then work up.

my wife cant see the difference between the two.

Wind drift is a bigger problem to deal with at those yardages than bullet drop. Shoot on a dead calm day and then repeat on a day with a 10-20 mph cross wind with some gusts higher. This is a humbling experience. The 20 grains extra will decrease your bullet drop some, but not as much as you are likely anticipating. Test it for youself to find out. Also, an accurate 100 yard load does not make it an accuarte 200 yard load. It needs to be verified. I love shooting at clay piegons at 200 plus yards, but I would never shoot at a deer at that distance unless everything was perfect which it never is for me. My self imposed limit is 150 yards in field conditions. This is a decision that you and you alone need to make dependent on your equipment and personal skill level. My $0.02. Good Luck.

I just bought a range find so i can keep my shots under 100-150 max . With out it , it was just way to hard for ''ME '' to guess the range . Last time out i kept playing with the range finder and i was amazed how off i was with out it . I would look at something guess the range and be off as much as a 100 yards . Guess something under 100 was easy, its past that that i sucked . I shoot 300 grain bullets and mine drop about 18 '' at 150 they are a flat nose HP . We made a set up on a mountain the last evening of our elk hunt and made a make shift blind 60 yards from where we though ( did not show ) the elk would come out , we had gale force winds and i could not even begin to guess how much drift a bullet would do at 100+ yards in conditions like that even with a heavy bullet .Two times i had a bull elk that i thought was at 110-130 then ranged him to find out he was at over 200 -250 tried to get closer only spooked him . Like i said i really suck at guessing over 100 yards so the range finder was the best thing i have ever bought . I ran into a guy last year with a side lock that bragged about missing 6 elk , i just wounder how many he wounded . ??? I also saw a guy on a mule deer forum that said his group of 4 had 25 shots at bucks and got three with their muzzle loaders :shock: :shock:

UtahRob said:
I just bought a range find so i can keep my shots under 100-150 max . With out it , it was just way to hard for ''ME '' to guess the range . Last time out i kept playing with the range finder and i was amazed how off i was with out it . I would look at something guess the range and be off as much as a 100 yards . Guess something under 100 was easy, its past that that i sucked . I shoot 300 grain bullets and mine drop about 18 '' at 150 they are a flat nose HP . We made a set up on a mountain the last evening of our elk hunt and made a make shift blind 60 yards from where we though ( did not show ) the elk would come out , we had gale force winds and i could not even begin to guess how much drift a bullet would do at 100+ yards in conditions like that even with a heavy bullet .Two times i had a bull elk that i thought was at 110-130 then ranged him to find out he was at over 200 -250 tried to get closer only spooked him . Like i said i really suck at guessing over 100 yards so the range finder was the best thing i have ever bought . I ran into a guy last year with a side lock that bragged about missing 6 elk , i just wounder how many he wounded . ??? I also saw a guy and a mule deer forum that said his group of 4 had 25 shots at bucks and got three with their muzzle loaders :shock: :shock:
Everone,pretty much "sucks" at judging yardage,past 100yds. In a open field, (grass/corn/bean/ect.) it's even harder! :shock: I use a "marker" set at 100yds. for a refrence point. Anything inside the marker is a boom flop,and anything past the marker is "laser ranged" before the shot. You will find the range finder is some of the best money you have ever spent on hunting gear. Wind drift is another story all together :lol: Ron

I also find that available light really changes my distance perception. Things look farther away in dim light.

Distance

In my little opinion no one should attempt a shot over 100 yards without the use of a range finder. Don't go hunting without it is my motto. Never had a shot that far anyway.

[/quote] Everone,pretty much "sucks" at judging yardage,past 100yds. In a open field, (grass/corn/bean/ect.) it's even harder! :shock: I use a "marker" set at 100yds. for a refrence point. Anything inside the marker is a boom flop,and anything past the marker is "laser ranged" before the shot. You will find the range finder is some of the best money you have ever spent on hunting gear. Wind drift is another story all together :lol: Ron[/quote]

That is exactly what I do.

Me too! My Grandsons are hunting this weekend and I absolutely will not let them shoot beyond the 100yd. marker. It is rare here in Indiana to get a shot that long anyway unless set up on a picked bean or cornfield.

Ron

I was surprised how easy a range finder can get messed up , you need something solid to get a good reading and if anything like a swig or branch or blade of grass is in the way it gives you a false reading . tree trunks , rocks or the side of a elk worked great , It could be half way to you target and you can't even see it and if you wiggle too much then you also get a false reading . There was a few times that i new the range finder was off and i had to range something else to the side . But still better than guessing !!!

frontier gander said:
i dont care what muzzleloader you are shooting, 300 yards is just to damned far for normal field shooting! 200 yards is really pushing it if you dont have a solid rest. Save those big 300 yard shots for the centerfire.

:D At 200 or 300 yards doesn't take much to throw off a shot , from the heart to a gut shot

I think it would be great fun to shoot past 200!!!
I like the clay bird idea.

The gentleman didn't say he would be hunting at that range, he just asked a trajectory question.

My son and i have a great time shooting at logs small rocks or dirt clods at un-known rages and It was sure a eye opener when you thought something was around 300 yards and you held 25-30 inches high only to see your bullet drop 3-4 feet under the target . :shock: Every now than then you would hit home but rarely . Would never think about doing that at game though .

hasnt anybody shot 200 or 300 yards at the range? I was wondering the trajectory of a 300gr .44 xtp using 100gr of pryo rs with cci 209 primers and harvester crush rib sabots. wasnt gonna try it till i had an idea of the drop. also was looking into a mil-dot 4x scope or one of the muzzle loader scopes with the hash marks. you can also use your reticule as a range finder.

hasnt anybody shot 200 or 300 yards at the range?

I have fired at 200 and 250 yards on the range a few times. The bullet was always the 250 grain SST/Shockwave. One day the wind was at about 15 mph. The group was centered 16" off the aiming point and about a foot low at 200 yards. Have also made a couple of shots on hogs at about 200 yards: Conditions were ideal: No wind, good light and a good rest.

My shots on game are limited to less than 100 yards unless conditions are extraordinary.

Latest posts

Back