Genesis Breech Block fouling?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
My new Remington Genesis's breech block gets fouled so bad after 4 or 5 shots that it's darn near impossible to open it.

I'm thinking that this is probably fouling from the primer???? I've been using CCIM 209 primers.

I've read that the Remington STS primers may provide reliable ignition with Blackhorn 209 powder with much less primer fouling.

Surely would appreciate some help here.

I have heard those magnum primers give off a lot of fouling. I have never tried them myself. I use the Remington STS primers with BH209 in my Genesis and it works great. I have fired almost 40 shot and haven't had a single issue. I can feel the breech block getting a little stiff after several shots but it's nothing that annoys me. I just keep a rag nearby and give the breech block a wipe every couple of shots. I have noticed that the face of the breech block will accumulate some very hard fouling. I tried to scrub it off with a wire brush and had no luck. I ended up using the tip of a screw driver and then it came off fine.

SWThomas said:
I have heard those magnum primers give off a lot of fouling. I have never tried them myself. I use the Remington STS primers with BH209 in my Genesis and it works great. I have fired almost 40 shot and haven't had a single issue. I can feel the breech block getting a little stiff after several shots but it's nothing that annoys me. I just keep a rag nearby and give the breech block a wipe every couple of shots. I have noticed that the face of the breech block will accumulate some very hard fouling. I tried to scrub it off with a wire brush and had no luck. I ended up using the tip of a screw driver and then it came off fine.

Thanks, and Semper Fi (retired Navy CMC)

SWThomas,

A piece of brass rod/bar sharpened down to a flat edge like a screwdriver will make quick work of that fouling without scratching your stainless.

Busta said:
SWThomas,

A piece of brass rod/bar sharpened down to a flat edge like a screwdriver will make quick work of that fouling without scratching your stainless.

It's just the face of the Torch Cam Breech Block that gets the baked on fouling. It was all boogered up after the first outing with it. So scratching it doesn't concern me too much since you can't see it unless the block is flipped open. Thanks for the idea though! :D

CarlV said:
SWThomas said:

Thanks, and Semper Fi (retired Navy CMC)

No problem. Ooyah Master Chief!!!

Back