ground blinds ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
anyone use a ground blind during the muzzle loader hunt . Do they need to be put up days in advance so the deer get use to them ? I am thinking about getting one that i can pack in a few mile if needed . Any ideas ??

Thanks ,
RobK.

I use a cheap.. outhouse blind. I do take and set it up a few weeks before season, but then it is on my land. These are the blinds that set up in seconds. And when you shoot, make sure to get that muzzle out of the window. I also have a bucket seat in there and shoot off a set of shooting sticks. I have taken a lot of deer out of ground blinds.

I would suggest putting it up in advance. I have first hand experience with the old last minute blind. The deer will definately pick it out. A couple weeks in advance seems to work best.

I do not know about your area but around here the rodents seem to love to EAT the blind I have had two eaten up, not so bad that they are not usable but they need a little attention after 3-5 days in the woods. But you do need to get them un before you need to use them.

I tried one last year that I carried in the same morning. No luck. This year I'm going to take it a couple weekends before and see how it goes.

DavidKansas said:
I do not know about your area but around here the rodents seem to love to EAT the blind I have had two eaten up, not so bad that they are not usable but they need a little attention after 3-5 days in the woods. But you do need to get them un before you need to use them.

I had a Doghouse blind get munched on by rodents a couple of years ago. The blind was left up for about a month or so. I agree with putting the blind up before the season opens and also brushing it in if possible. It's much easier to get over having an $80 Doghouse blind chewed on than it would be to have a $350 Double Bull blind knawed on! That's why I stick with the cheaper blinds.

It is better to put it up awhile before the season, but you don't always have to. For example, if you can set up the blind in a brushy area with thick stuff behind you and then brush it in some more, deer probably won't notice it unless they get really close in.

For bow hunting, I always set up my blind several weeks before the season, but for ML hunting or turkey hunting, I've had luck doing what I described about. +1 on making sure your muzzle is sticking out of the blind before you shoot unless you want to melt the plastic, blow a nice hole through, or even set it on fire.

I'll try to get my two blinds put up about a month before the first season here in Missouri... and likely leave them until the end of the last (end of December).

If you do not have the time to set up way in advance the best idea is to stay as close to nature as possible. I made a ground blind out of a couple of fallen logs near a tree and just added a little to what was already there. I had a bull elk almost step on me while laying behind one of the logs of course I had a cow tag. Deer are a little more aware of things than elk of course. I think a lot of that is that elk are less afraid of being attacked as they are a lot bigger so most natural enemies have more trouble taking elk.

Definitely agree that getting them out early is the right way to go. I've bow hunted out of 2 pop-up blinds that were on my property for a 2 months or more and it's interesting to see the trailcam pictures showing every deer coming through focused on the blind. And they do look in the windows. In my parts they'll change their runs if the blind is too conspicuous. BUT, if you can put it against a ledge or blowdown to break the outline and are watching a trail 100 yds away with a ML I wouldn't hesitate to carry one in for a rainy day. I should mention that I've never arrowed a deer from store bought blinds but have arrowed 11 of them with a compound bow just sitting on the ground against a tree, ledge or log so less disturbance is better. Sure is more pleasant listening to the rain on the tent than running down your neck though. :wink:

I have killed several deer out of ground blinds. In fact I was bow hunting out of one tonight and had two deer within bow range but were not shooters. If I am going to hunt out of it on the same day I put it out I brush it in so it's hard to tell it's even a man made blind. If I am not doing a same day hunt and plan on hunting out of it several days later I don't brush it in. It's been my experience it takes about a week or two for deer get accustom to it. I used one in Iowa last year that sat out for a couple months. It was placed on a fence line out in the open. Deer walked by it all the time. I do my best though to avoid letting deer see me getting in or out of the blind as to not educate them.

I always set mine up several weeks before I plan to hunt it. If you don't have that option, just make sure you brush it in really well.

I set one up for my son just three days ahead of time. Then it snowed and the sun melted the snow on the doghouse blind. It stood out like a sore thumb but a group of five does came right in and he got one. I think the deer don't see movement and also it holds the scent down. I'm sure setting up a week ahead of time is better but I don't think its always necessary.
Art

Not a bad idea to set them up ahead of time, but not necessary. I've shot plenty of deer out of same day sets. Same day set last rifle sason,picked bean field no trees within 200 yards, had bucks and does in bow range.

ground blind

just set it up the day of the hunt - shoot the Deer as they stop and look at the strange new object! :roll:

They are just about all I use.
I have 4 doghouses and one Vision.
Mine are up before the season and for the most part stay in the same place all season.
I LOVE using ground blinds.
I use seam sealers and camp dry on them, they are very comfortable to hunt out of.I use a tripod to shoot off of.

this year I sat on a water hole (btw i hunted the south cache unit) in utah.

I have sat at this hole before in a tree stand and did not see any game come into water. so this year i sat behind a couple of small pine trees I had to sit on my a&& they were that small and had more game come into it than before.
if you can I would go natural all the way.
Im thinking about going in a few days before and making something better out the the trees and have two set up instead of just one.

also use cover scent it does work. I had a bull moose just 7 yards from me this year in my little set up.

Latest posts

Back