Harvester Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
What is the difference between the red and black Harvester sabots? (for 50 cal holding 45 caliber bullets) I am using .452 bullets. AND, what is meant by "High Pressure Sabot"? Are the high pressure for the loads using large charges, like 120 grains and higher?

red sabot

the red sabots are thicker, made for the savage muzzle loader, you can use them if you want a tighter bullet,

I believe there are some orange sabots that handle the .457-.458 bullets. I checked my supplies. And they are MMP. There are red sabots that come with a Barnes Bullet that a .452 and are a high pressure sabot. Also some of them have a different base to match the make of bullet. The black .452 are high pressure. There are short black ones and taller ones. There are crushed rib and then thicker ones like the HPH-12. Sabotlaoder can really give you some great information on this.

Chick

The Harvester Red and Black sabots are both for 45 cal bullets to be put in a 50 cal barrel. The red sabot is thicker than the black so it will load tighter (if it will load at all) in your bore. As was mentioned above it was intended for the Savage shooters, but will will well in the older Knight and white bores...

Check these pictures and charts out....

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

Darn it, I remember seeing this chart now. I wish I knew exactly the procedure you used, and how much pressure you used to measure, and location, etc, so that I could measure some of my own. I can still measure, and probably will, but not sure that I can use your figures to compare to mine. I find the SST, when loaded with the MMP 3 petal EZ sabot, seems to have a real good fit. It looks like the short black Harvester sabot, has the same dimensions, but with it being .003 to .004 bigger, and my limited experience at this, I am not sure if I can get it in the barrel or not. What do you think? If it will fit, I would like to compare groups with the MMP 3 petal EZ sabot.

Again, what is a high pressure sabot, and what is it used for.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

MMP started the high Pressure line basically for the Savage smokeless shooters. It is a slightly different plastic composition to withstand higher pressures.
The high pressure sabot will work in both BP and Smokeless guns.
DC

Anyone seen any differences in velocity or groups, with the high pressure sabots versus the regular sabots?

Thanks for defining the High Pressure question!

The key to any sabot bullet combo is to find one that works in your barrel. With the savage the saying is tight is right. With the bh 209 which is also a progressive type powder you need a tight sabot and a firm seating pressure. Black Powder and The other subs all have their own characteristics, (make sure you don't crush pellets if that is what you are using) but I would get a variety of sabots and experiment with them pushing them down the barrel of your gun with several different bullets. Remove the breech plug and just push them all the way through. This will give you a very good idea on loading pressure and which ones could probably be eliminated just by how they load. Same bullet different sabot will often change either POI or group size.

DC

The crushed pellet thing, is a definite, in one of my rifle. The face of the BP is concave, and if too much pressure is applied, the pellet against the BP, is crushed.

Back