Disc Extreme or Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno48

Reaction score
Not to start a war. But if you could only take one gun into the Mountains on a hunt, in Snow, Sleet, Rain and in just really rugged conditions. Which gun would you take? In other words which do you think will hold up better in extreme conditions and rough handling? I already have both in carbine. Green Mountain 54 cal Brush Gun and an Omega X7. Hunting would be for Black Bear.

I would go with the Omega since Knight is closing down. I own an Omega and it will take anything you can put it through. Great gun.

Reno48

Honestly, I think either gun would perform equally well. I have both the Omega and the Extreme, hunted with both in cruddy weather.

I think they can and do perform very close to equal with any given load.

Using FPJ's the breech weather seal of the Knight might be a little more positive than the Omega, and possibly the trigger of the Knight may be a plus over the Omega.

And the one last factor which I am sure would influence me is the thumb safety vs pulling back a hammer, to be able to shoot.

For me were I faced with this decision it would simply come down to a personal decision as to what one i feel most comfortable with or which one I might really want to hunt with that particular trip.

Since you already own both of them, does one of them instill more accuracy and confidence in your mind over the other? Go with that one.

Reese said:
Since you already own both of them, does one of them instill more accuracy and confidence in your mind over the other? Go with that one.

I think that is great advice! I have owned both and have hunted with both. I feel fine hunting with either.

Reese said:

Reno48,

I agree with totally with what Reese posted, I have a lowly NEF Huntsman that is still batting 1000 on whitetails and elk, can't argue with success. Just something about that rifle, even though it shares company with 7 Knights, 3 Whites, 1 T/C, 1 H&R, and another unfired NEF.

With that said, I agree with everything that Sabotloader posted about both rifles, except the part about pulling back hammers. I don't mind on the NEF, but an Omega hammer doesn't give as much purchase with no extension, especially a scoped one.

Will the rifle be scoped, or open/peep sights? If your average shot is less than 100 yards, it is hard to argue with a big heavy chunk of lead, and bullet drop isn't even a real factor. You have two quality rifles there, I don't think you will regret taking either. Good luck!

Hulions,

What does Knights closing have to do with how his Knight is going to work in the field? I just don't get it?

Busta,

I thought he was wanting to buy another gun. I must have misread his post. I have nothing against Knight. Just stated the fact that the company was closing down and if i were in the market to buy another gun I would have a hard time buying a new gun from a company that is closing down in a month. Parts availability etc.... Sorry for the confusion

Hulions said:
Busta,

I thought he was wanting to buy another gun. I must have misread his post. I have nothing against Knight. Just stated the fact that the company was closing down and if i were in the market to buy another gun I would have a hard time buying a new gun from a company that is closing down in a month. Parts availability etc.... Sorry for the confusion

Gotcha, I totally understand that would be a problem for some people. I have 3 Whites, but they are so well built that I wouldn't have a problem buying another if I wanted one even though they have been in and out of business several times. I feel the same way about Knight, if I wanted one it wouldn't stop me, but I already have too many of those. :lol:

Thanks for the Advice guys. It is hard to make up my mind.I've been shooting TC's for years.

The 54 cal Brush rifle is as accurate with a 430 grain maxiball as the Omega is with 300 gr XTP's Maybe even more so to 100 yards. This is all I need for distance.

The only thing that bothers me about the Disc Extreme setup is it has only one lug to secure the barrel to the stock instead of the two on the Omega. Has anybody had a problem with that one lug loosening?

The Knight - definitely. If your concerned about any screw working itself loose, a dab of medium strength loc-tite should set you mind at ease. I would take my Knight DISC on a proverbial "hunt of a lifetime" anyday.

Reno48 said:
Has anybody had a problem with that one lug loosening?
Nope never had it happen. All my inlines and all my hunting/filming partners inlines are Knights. Never had this happen on a hunt.

One more Question. I just ordered the Non FPJ conversion because I was a little worried about getting the Jackets now because of what is happening at Knight.

Just wondering if the anybody knows whether POI was close to or the same between the two?

I'll run my own tests when I have time, but it would be nice to practice with the NFPJ and use the FPJ for hunting.

Reno48 : I remember the impact was the same when I switched to the NFPJ... as long as I used the same brand of primer.

The only thing that bothers me about the Disc Extreme setup is it has only one lug to secure the barrel to the stock instead of the two on the Omega. Has anybody had a problem with that one lug loosening?

You know I'm right there with you. I've had zero problems with the action screw loosening but I have had issues with the action moving in the stock(barrel movement evident at stock forend) even though the screw was tight. Never happens with a Disc Elite and of course it would never happen with an Omega. Rethinking....I vote for a T/H Omega like I USED to have! 8)

IMG_0103.JPG

Reno48 said:
One more Question. I just ordered the Non FPJ conversion because I was a little worried about getting the Jackets now because of what is happening at Knight.

Just wondering if the anybody knows whether POI was close to or the same between the two?

I'll run my own tests when I have time, but it would be nice to practice with the NFPJ and use the FPJ for hunting.

Why? If I had the choice I'd NEVER use the FPJ in any situation. One more thing to remember. The more muzzleloaders you have the better it is to keep things the same as much as possible. Since you have an Omega that requires nothing more than a 209 I'd make sure your Knights were the same since that is now possible. Going hunting or showing up at the range with nothing more than a pack of 209s will make a believer out of you. Trust me.

Big 6x6

I also have a Left Hand Thumbhole Laminated stock Omega along with the X7. The Thumbhole version I use on Stand. The X7 and the Brush Rifle I use for still hunting.

Would never give up the Thumbhole! It was a while before I found a Left Hand one.

I am Deffenatly a Knight man as I have 6 of them BUT IMO any of the guns you have will do the trick , T/C Makes a awsome gun as well I have a older modle Thunderhawk with #11 caps that I would not be afraid of taking on a hunt like that any day !
I have never had a probblem with my lug bolt getting loose on any of my knights ! BUT as posted above if you have any concerns with the lug bolt use some LOC-Tight ! just my 2 cents worth
Good luck on your hunt !

Personally if all else was equal, I would take the lighter rifle.

BTW I have had issues (cracking) with the front lug on my X7. TC claimed it was shooting magnum loads... but sent a free replacement. I still trust it but would have the brush rifle in the truck for a "hunt of a life time".

Cattledog said:
Personally if all else was equal, I would take the lighter rifle.

BTW I have had issues (cracking) with the front lug on my X7. TC claimed it was shooting magnum loads... but sent a free replacement. I still trust it but would have the brush rifle in the truck for a "hunt of a life time".

Very good points, I ALWAYS have a back up rifle when I go to Colorado. Heck, I even take a back-up rifle when I go to the farm for whitetails, and it is only 10 miles away. I forgot to mention that in my previous post, glad you pointed that out.

Back