Musings of a turkey hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWTF Lobo

Reaction score
listen10.jpg

The woods is still dark
but the sky's getting bright
turkeys on their roost
where they've spent the night

The woods slowly lightens
while I sit and I wait
my mind conjurer's visions
of a Tom turkey's fate

listen now, what's that I heard
is it the gobble of a tom turkey bird
I putt and I purr to sound like a hen
excited now there's that gobble again

success is a goal but not always to be
the hunt itself is what nourishes me
to be in the woods fills a need in my soul
like hunters before me, the story is old

images
The Turkey Hunter by David Wright​
David-Wright-credit-Mike-W.-Rutherford-0028-590x442.jpg
David is an old friend and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Not just an artists but also a very good frontiersman himself, excellent artist as the picture shows.​

I agree Buck David is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I got my first print of his in the 70's, titled A Way Of Life, back then I looked like the guy standing.

a_way_10.jpg

The title of the print is "The Turkey Hunter" 2000 signed Limited Edition, SOLD OUT

I was at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chardon NE for a long weekend visiting old friend Charles E. Hanson Jr.  We were sitting in the library talking about my original Sharpe (pre-1816 trade gun), Charley was trying to talk me into selling the museum the NW gun.

The phone rang and Charley answered and started talking about bead work patterns to the person on the phone with him. Turns out it was David Wright doing his endless research for a new painting, needed details on proper clothing, bead work, and a good name for his work. After Charley hung up (and hour call) he told me when the published painting comes out ask to use it for my new book "Success in the North American Fur Trade".  

Once the painting was released I purchased a print and then called David, he gave me permission to use his painting on the cover of the book.

view.jpg
Wind River Man by David Wright.
s-l1600.jpg

steady eddie said:
look how tight they had the powder horn under his arm
From many discriptions in journals and notes by period artists this was how these early frontiersman wore their horn. If running or crawling around in the brush you don't need a horn strap getting caught on undergrowth.

The tree Dave is standing in front of is in Green County Alabama, old Stagshead Lodge

There are many artists doing period characters from the past, some unknown that are excellent works of their art ability. I have an Associate Degree in Art from the Rockwell - Collins days in the late '50s. There was nothing like we see today and the subject matter is wonderful.

Back