Boar with a Thor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out and did some shooting this weekend. Mostly trying out Thors with my new Lehigh breech plug set up. Still not sure if my LRH is going to shoot Thors well enough for 100 to 150 yard shots, but it was good out to 50 yards.

So I loaded her up with 90 gr of BH 209 and a 300 gr Thor and went hog hunting. Had a 150 lb boar come in just before dark and let him have it at 20 yards. Never took a step. I was shooting at a down angle from a tree stand and the bullet entered through the upper left chest and did not exit. Because I was only going to get the back straps and the rear quarters, I did not open him up and see what the bullet did. It was 95 degrees and dark and I just didn't want to get that dirty.

So the Thor did great, and I consider that great terminal performance (a 0 yard tracking job!), but I was a little surprised that it did not exit. I suppose it could have hit a rib and changed course, but the off side shoulder was not broken.

Any way, had a great time. Saw everything from axis deer, blackbuck antelope, sika deer, and whitetails. Was tempted by a big axis buck, but we were really just there for varmit control (pigs).

Well I am surprised from what I read that it did not exit, but as you say... hard to tell what a bullet hits or does when it enters an animal. And to the credit of a hog, they are a hard kill. Congratulations on the hog. Enjoy the meat.

Latest posts

Back