I spent the weekend on the stand with the kids.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaughlin72

Reaction score
I know its not muzzleloader, our season doesn't open til next weekend and we had the youth hunt this weekend.and i wanted to share with yall. I have 4 kids so i split them up with two having morning hunts and two having evening hunts. First morning hunt was my daughter, nothing on the stand but a little spike on the way back to the truck. Saturday evening my middle boy, after 3 hours on the stand he harvested his first deer, a 95 lb doe, sunday morning my oldest son, no luck. And this evening with my youngest son, after 4 hours on the stand he was able to harvest his first deer, a 115 lb doe. It was a great weekend for all of us. It was great to have two of them get their first deer. As you can see in the pictures, they were excited.
Mattsdeer.jpg

Justinsdeer.jpg

Way to GO! I know that was a lot of fun for everybody! You can tell that bottom doe is a good bit bigger than the top one...

There is nothing like sharing that first one with them! Way to go!

video of the hunts

I am by far no expert on this whole camera thing, I never thought to take the camera with us when we went to find the deer. and if I could keep the camera still when the gun goes off it would be better.
And for those that do not agree with feeding, this stand was set up specifically for my kids and wife to hunt, i mostly hunt from my API climber and their is no corn where i hunt.
Anyway, here is the video. Hope yall enjoy it. And if the others kill i will try to post them too....Thanks for the kind words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YYatknnLgs

yes

yes, the first part is my middle boy, the bigger boy in the pics, the second part in the video was of my youngest son, the smaller one in the pics. It was a nice doe with two yearlings. As you can see they were weaned already because they were first to the corn pile. The first one ran about 20 feet, she was hit in the rear, she turned just as he shot and he broke the hips(i guess thats what you call them on a deer) so she was still alive just immobile so he had to do a head shot on the second shot. My youngest son's deer ran about 30 yards and crashed. At the angle he shot her he broke 3 ribs, busted the lungs and the bullet stopped at the shoulder blade on the other side. Both used the same rifle, a wood stock Savage .243 shooting 95g Winchester ballistic silver tips.

Our camp rules will only let us kill two does a year and my boys took care of them for us, so we are limited to hunting bucks only. They wife and youngest son were in the box blind yesterday and they could see a nice rack buck laying in the new pine plantation(they could see it in the camera but couldn't find it in the scope) but they never got a shot at it, it crawled away.. But today they got to watch a doe for about a half hour before she left. They really enjoyed that. I was around the corner of the plantation about 30ft up a tree and this little 5 point came out. It would be nice if they would let us take 3 does, so the wife could get her first deer. Maybe the big boy will be back. Anyways, here is a pic of the 5 point. He didn't weigh but 95 pounds and we figured him to be a little over a year old. It really did look bigger in the scope...
Anyways, heres a pic
Johnny5pt.jpg

Tne boy's have done well

Congradulations to both you and your son's for their first Deer. You have taught them well. 4 hours on a stand for a young hunter is a longwait..but oviously a worth while wait.

I hope your daughter scores on a nice Buck next weekend so she can
you know rub it in to her brothers. A little sibling rivalry. I bet she will.

Keep us posted on her success.

Now what are you doing with all that meat???

Choc-dog

choc dog, sorry its been so long to answer, i didn't notice the question before.
My kids will eat deer meat 7 days a week if I would let them. Last year I killed 4, 190#,2=105# And 100#, the last one, was turned into sausage, the first three were deboned, with a few roast, and most cut up into stew meat for frying. With all that meat, we almost ran out before the season opened this year, so we have those three in the freezer to eat like that, and if I get another one we are gonna make sausage or ground meat for chili.

Awesome!!! It's so good to see the children getting involved with the sport. After all they are our future. Congrats. on the hunt's. :yeah:

Nice video. Have been trying to do that here but since I'm alone in my blind it becomes a challenge to operate a camera and rifle at the same time and be accurate with both. Did get a video of me missing a deer. Could figure out why until I watched it a few times and and zoomed in on it with my computer and saw that the deer moved just as I squeezed the trigger.

Back