Movin' To southern VT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inline50

Reaction score
I travel alot on my job and my temporary work assignment in New England is finally done after 18 long months. I've was offered a permanent position in Vermont I couldn't afford to pass up. Now all I need to do is figure out where to hunt this fall if I get the time off. I understand the deer hunting is good in New England so I'm looking forward to a change in scenery from flats to mountains. Can't decide :scratch: though whether to get a VT, MA or New York hunting license. :| :| :|

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to hunt in northeast NY, western MA or southern VT :?:

Nothing like living between them mountains ! Can't help with the hunting license though... ;)

Check the deer kill numbers and I think you'll find that Vermont doesn't have much of a harvest each year. The other states might be better. I'd pick the state that has the longest deer season.

:D

The best of luck inline50 :!: I hope everything works out for you and the family.

Ray...... ;)

Good luck with your move. It will be interesting to see what kind of hunting conditions you find.

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
i'd stay away from new york thats for damn sure!
Oddly enough, here's what I've found so far. Of the three states, NY averages the most deer harvest-wise at @ 300,000+/year, with several world-class trophy deer taken yearly. MA harvests @ 11,000+/year with world-classs trophies taken yearly as well. VT harvests @ 13,000+/year with a few large-racked deer taken yearly, but very few if any ever taken in the trophy-class deer (125+ B&C points).

Luckily I still have plently of time to do my homework. I'm not the greatest hunter, so any deer is a trophy for me.
--------------------------------------------------
p.s. Although my new work location will be in VT, I've been renting in a house in MA. With sales in the housing market rising my landlord is considering selling. Just one more biggy to think about. My brain is getting cooked with all the decisions I need to make soon. :pale:

N.Y. has terrific deer hunting in Sullivan County and in the SW areas. However, NY is MUCH larger than either VT or Mass. The NE part of NY would be the area to check out to see if they have good deer hunting there. Unless it has improved lately, the Adirondacks have poor success but that's where all the urbanites from NYC want to hunt.

Make sure you look at the number of hunters too. Personally, I look for less hunters.

inline50 said:
FrontierMuzzleloading said:
i'd stay away from new york thats for damn sure!
Oddly enough, here's what I've found so far. Of the three states, NY averages the most deer harvest-wise at @ 300,000+/year, with several world-class trophy deer taken yearly. MA harvests @ 11,000+/year with world-classs trophies taken yearly as well. VT harvests @ 13,000+/year with a few large-racked deer taken yearly, but very few if any ever taken in the trophy-class deer (125+ B&C points).

Luckily I still have plently of time to do my homework. I'm not the greatest hunter, so any deer is a trophy for me.
--------------------------------------------------
p.s. Although my new work location will be in VT, I've been renting in a house in MA. With sales in the housing market rising my landlord is considering selling. Just one more biggy to think about. My brain is getting cooked with all the decisions I need to make soon. :pale:
Well, it's official, I did it...I'm now a Massachusetts resident! Couldn't pass up a deal on a house. The bad news is their gun laws :roll:. :x The police chief is asking (but really telling) me take $$$ a personal firearms course before I can apply for a LTC.

Latest posts

Back