A GOOD BULLET COMBO FOR .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miheadhunter

Reaction score
WELL I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CVA FIREBOLT .45 AND FOUND ONE I HAD A .50 AND IT SHOT VERY GOOD I WISH I DDNT SOLD IT BUT FOUND A ANOTHER ONE THEY CAME WITH A SOILD STOCK FLUTED BARREL I THINK IT WAS THE BEST SMOKE POLE THEY HAD AND UP FOR SUGGEST ON BULLETS THANK YOU

my most favorite and accurate bullet in a cva .45 was the 225 or 275gr powerbelt with 80gr RS.

MMP Cream/Tan Saboted 200g 10mm/40cal XTP Mag, 200g SST/Shockwaves, 185g Lehigh's and MMP Cream/ Tan Sabots,

All above combos with 90-120g powder of your choice :D 8) :wink:

Simply put, find the Heaviest bullet combination you can get (Like the 275 Powerbelt). The .45's really need large bullets for the best stabilization, especially with hotter powder charges.

I have a very similar .45 - the CVA Hunterbolt. Mine likes the following bullets in order of most - to least accurate:

#1. 200 grain SST/Shockwave
#2. 200 grain XTP with Harvestor light blue sabots
#3. 195 grain .357 Dead Centers
#4. 225 grain Powerbelt hollowpoint

All of the above bullets will shoot 2" or less groups at 100 yards with the proper powder charge. As for powder, I'd suggest 777 loose or Pyrodex loose if you prefer, as opposed to pellets. CVA doesn't recommend going above 100 grains of loose powder with the Firebolt, and I don't recommend it either- it's really not necessary. For example, with 100 grains of 777 FFFG, I'm getting close to 2,100fps with the 200 grain SST - you really don't need to go faster than that for all practical purposes.

Hope this helps!

I have excellent results using 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 with a CCI primer and a Hornady 200 grain HP/XTP in a MMP sabot. I'm shooting this combo out of a CVA .45 Optima Pro.

200 gr xtp is a great bullet as is the 275gr powerbelt. I've killed many deer with both. The powerbelt always exited...even on a 100 yard shot through both shoulders of a hog and it always left a good hole.

Something I'm going to be trying soon is a 200gr 35 Rem bullet. It's .358 so it should fit in a 357/45 sabot.
With a published BC of .282 I hope I can get it to group well. My only fear is the twist rate of my rifle will not be enough at 1:28.
With even a moderate charge of 777 3F I'll have a MPBR of 200 yards.
If this doesn't work I will also try some 180gr .357 xtps. Still has good BC and SD and my trust as an xtp.

I tried the 200gr shockwaves and they were all over the place. I've also heard of less than desireable results on game...no expansion. I only shot a coyote with this so I can't attest to this personally.

Latest posts

Back