Movie: A guy on a buffalo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the Stock Show in Denver there was an act that used buffalo (riding and doing tricks.
My friend that had the ranch that we hunted buffalo on knew this guy, Wilbur said (these animals were 5th or 6th generation home grown. You need at least that many years to tame them).

Mongo rode a bull; does that count? :cheers:

Mongo rode a bull; does that count? :cheers:
Ah yes, Mongo! (aka Alex Karras).
In the goofy movie Blazing Saddles, Mongo rode in on a Brahman bull, then knocked out a horse with one punch!
In real life, he was quite a character. Professionally he played football for the Detroit Lions, was in the Pro Bowl 4 times, and also wrestled as a pro.
Alex Karras - Wikipedia

I hear they had to "gentle him down" to play Mongo. He originally wanted to THROW the horse, not punch it! :dancing chicken: :cheers:😄

Ah yes, Mongo! (aka Alex Karras).
In the goofy movie Blazing Saddles, Mongo rode in on a Brahman bull, then knocked out a horse with one punch!
In real life, he was quite a character. Professionally he played football for the Detroit Lions, was in the Pro Bowl 4 times, and also wrestled as a pro.
Alex Karras - Wikipedia
As a kid we met Alex Karras when he came to play against the Philadela Eagles. They had several of the Detroit Lions players talking to us kids about proffessionl sports. He seemed very mild and fun to talk to. He was one bad ass on the field and as a wrestler at a few matches my dad took me too.

Alex_Karras_1961.jpg

Karras had a wide ranging career - football player, actor (playing highly neurotic big guys), buffalo rider, announcer, exhibition wrestler, coach (briefly).

In a sign of change, this "big" guy was 6'2" and 248 pounds. That would barely give him enough size to be considered for linebacker, nowadays. He was a Pro Bowl defensive tackle in his day.

Alex also did a stint as a comedian and sit-com actor. He did a bit on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson where he was looking for investors in what he said would be a lucrative Sports wear product. Then he proceeds to pull several of them out of a large bag. They were Pro football team logo Athletic supporters, yeah; huge jock straps!. The band had a logo, team name and logo etc around the band and a very large pouch with the team logo on it. Carson and the audience exploded with laughter and Alex Karras never chuckled, just stayed in the serious salesman mode explaining WHY this would make millions.. Great bit.

I always liked him in everything he had a role in. A couple especially come to mind.

Another movie that I'll never forget is "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke. His best performance ever, IMHO. Very sad and poignant movie. Of course there's "Angel Heart" which is a fairly tough deal to watch the first time. Rourke's a very tough guy, having been a pro boxer.

Latest posts

Back