Pan powder...fffg vs. ffffg

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Question for you flintlock shooters..... What do you use in the pan, fffg or ffffg? You know I can't tell you why! :wink: :lol:

On the range I shoot 4f as it is supposed to have a little faster igntion then the 3f. While that might be true, I'd hate to live on the difference. When I bought my first flintlock, I was told I needed 4f for the pan. I bought two pounds. Now 3 grains of 4f goes into 7000 grains in a pound, a few times. Being me, I purchased two pounds of it. :D So I use 4f.

When I hunt, I often times will use 3f in the pan as it is supposed to handle moisture better. Especially when I shoot my Traditions as I shoot 3f powder as the main charge as well. I have used 4f too. Also the brand of powder can make a difference. For instance Swiss 3f I like a lot for my pan primer. Goex is good, but it is not Swiss.

i think ive shot 8 or 9 lbs of 2f and 3f in my flinter and i STILL have the original can of 4f that i bought 4 years ago :lol: i wish 2 and 3f would last that long.

goex 4f. bought 2 cans also. about 10 yrs ago. still not thru the first one yet......

I got one about 3/4 shot off... and working hard on it. :D

I've never used 4f - never had any.

I had a can of 2f GOEX on hand when I got my Great Plains flintlock last year. I used up that pound for the charge and in the pan. It worked fine.

Last April I bought a case of 3f GOEX and that's all I use now for the charge and pan. I only have 4 lbs left. Looks like I'll need another case come April. :lol:

I haven't used 4F in years, but I may get a can for my T/C. It seems a little slow to light sometimes. I'm thinking the newest style T/C lock & vent liner would be a better fix than 4F.

big6x6 said:
n8dawg6 said:
im tellin ya chuck ... gitchu one of them TVM flinters :D

I'm gonna ride over there one of these days... The TVM muzzleloaders LOOK like quality rifles! I ALSO like these:

http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/finishedguns.htm

EITHER while kinka pricey...really only about $200-$300 more than a T/C Hawken flintlock...

yeah, i have heard (read) good things about those sitting fox muzzleloaders. it is very hard to compare custom and semi-custom rifles to a t/c. they really arent even similar. i love t/c rifles, but there's something about a custom ... you just need to hold a good custom tennessee or virginia-style rifle ... very slender

if you do seriously consider getting a semi-custom, though, be careful ... some of these builders aren't particularly timely. go with somebody with a really good reputation, like matt avance

Latest posts

Back