Cant make a decision on first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antman157

Reaction score
I need some help guys ...

I cant decide what muzzleloader I want .. I have been looking at the TC Encore ($800) .. Which I love the fact I can change barrels .. But then this is my first muzzleloader .. So would I be better off getting a $200 CVA or something similar? ... So many decision ..

I already own a .308 rifle and a 12ga 870 .. So I dont know if I really need the extra barrels for the Encore ..

Any opinions?

Are you looking at the TC Encore (oldest model), The TC Encore Pro Hunter (upgraded Encore) or TC Encore Endeavor? (upgrade Pro Hunter muzzleloader version.)

If you decide that you want or need the switch barrel rifle I would suggest you look at the CVA Optima Elite (which I have one of with the .50ML barrel, a .270rifle barrel and the 12ga. turkey barrel all in stainless with camo stock). I think you can get one for a lot less than the T/C rifle and it will shoot conical bullets which most of the T/C rifle barrels will not. Or look at the CVA Apex which is brand new to the market. The T/C barrels are also very tight and picky about what will or will not fit down the barrel. The CVA Optima Elite or the newer Apex will have the Bergara barrel which is in my opinion (note I said opinion) is a better barrel than what T/C puts on their rifles. I have a stainless Omega and the CVA Bergara barrel is again in my opinion based on direct comparison a better more quality finished barrel with a much more defined and polished mirror like bore. The T/C stainless barrel was so rough I had to lap it to get decent performance and then it is still marginal. If you decide that you do not need the switch barrel function I would suggest that you look at the CVA Accura which also has the Bergara barrel. You should shoulder the rifles and see what feels best to you also if possible. A lot could depend on where and what you intend to hunt. Some states have restrictions on what muzzleloaders are allowed in the ML hunts. If you decide on the non switch barrel rifle then look at R&R Arms online for a good deal. I found my Knight Rolling Block there at the best price at the time and their shipping costs are low compared with most.

coh-1 said:
Are you looking at the TC Encore (oldest model), The TC Encore Pro Hunter (upgraded Encore) or TC Encore Endeavor? (upgrade Pro Hunter muzzleloader version.)

TC Encore (oldest model) .. Sorry

Another vote for the T/C Omega. you can get a blued/black Z5 model for $300-$325 new and it will most likely outshoot any Encore right out of the box. The Encores seem to need some tinkering to get them to shoot up to their potential.

I have owned both and would go with the Omega over the Encore everytime.

MLKeith said:
If you decide that you want or need the switch barrel rifle I would suggest you look at the CVA Optima Elite (which I have one of with the .50ML barrel, a .270rifle barrel and the 12ga. turkey barrel all in stainless with camo stock). I think you can get one for a lot less than the T/C rifle and it will shoot conical bullets which most of the T/C rifle barrels will not. Or look at the CVA Apex which is brand new to the market. The T/C barrels are also very tight and picky about what will or will not fit down the barrel. The CVA Optima Elite or the newer Apex will have the Bergara barrel which is in my opinion (note I said opinion) is a better barrel than what T/C puts on their rifles. I have a stainless Omega and the CVA Bergara barrel is again in my opinion based on direct comparison a better more quality finished barrel with a much more defined and polished mirror like bore. The T/C stainless barrel was so rough I had to lap it to get decent performance and then it is still marginal. If you decide that you do not need the switch barrel function I would suggest that you look at the CVA Accura which also has the Bergara barrel. You should shoulder the rifles and see what feels best to you also if possible. A lot could depend on where and what you intend to hunt. Some states have restrictions on what muzzleloaders are allowed in the ML hunts. If you decide on the non switch barrel rifle then look at R&R Arms online for a good deal. I found my Knight Rolling Block there at the best price at the time and their shipping costs are low compared with most.

Wow .. Thanks .. Lots of help .. I really appreciate that .. That helps a lot in my research for the right rifle

Take a look at the T/C Triumph, light, accurate, and really easy to clean.

IMHO, by the time you add another barrel, forend, scope, and mounts to an encore you could have bought a pretty nice purpose built rifle. The one exception being the .22LR bbl which would be great to practice with.

YMMV,

Jim

If you have access to a good sporting goods store, that has a good selection of MZ's, go handle and shoulder the models that have been suggested. Get a feel for each model and decide which one fits you. Good luck and I'm sure which ever model you choose you'll have a new favorite rifle.

Set your price point & go from there. Pretty broad spectrum between TC and CVA. Both have a fierce & loyal following though.

Personally - for a good "don't know if ML'ing if for me"..the Z5 Omega from TC.

my is just the $299 bule Z5 omega rite out of the box is would shoot 50 yards touching groups.

now it shoots touching groups out to 100 yards with a scope

sam

TJJ said:
If you have access to a good sporting goods store, that has a good selection of MZ's, go handle and shoulder the models that have been suggested. Get a feel for each model and decide which one fits you. Good luck and I'm sure which ever model you choose you'll have a new favorite rifle.

Yeah, I am about an hour away from a Bass Pro Shop .. So I may do that this week ..

i was in the same boat as you earlier this year with the same dilema. i decided after discussing with others that i did not want to kepp switching barrels and the wonder wheather or not it would still shoot the same or if i would have to resight it in. also, when i priced out the barrells i would ultimatly want.. yikes, sticker shock. not only that, but you also would need to buy a foreend as well. i decided to save the money and got a t/c triumph instead. the gun was half the price as the prohunter/endeavor, and with the money i saved not buying extra barrels, i could still get a nice rifle or two. save your money, but a nice dedicated muzzleloader and just hunt. hope this helps. mitch

antman157 said:
I need some help guys ...

I cant decide what muzzleloader I want .. I have been looking at the TC Encore ($800) .. Which I love the fact I can change barrels .. But then this is my first muzzleloader .. So would I be better off getting a $200 CVA or something similar? ... So many decision ..

I already own a .308 rifle and a 12ga 870 .. So I dont know if I really need the extra barrels for the Encore ..

Any opinions?

I got my encore new in SS for 475.00 . nothing fancy , no speed breech plug , 26 '' barrel and it needed a limb saver recoil pad . I bought walnut stocks but ended up trading them with Saxman for his camo stocks and love them . I still got the encore even though i knew i was not going to get another barrel . Best of both worlds , still a Encore but not a ton of $$$ and gets the job done !! I had the money for a pro hunter but decided to put the extra $$$ towards a scope and sling. Only regrets , mine needed a 1x hinge pin and oversize spring for locking bolt . If i were to do it all over again, i would get a ss Omega with a camo stock its a BEAUTIFUL GUN !!!

encorecamoIMG_2051-1.jpg
:D

Knight is out of bussiness, but they built some of the very best rifles ever! If you do some looking on the net you may be able to find a Knight Disc extreme on a close out which may sweeten the deal. The customer service for Knight is still active, but since they are so well made, I don't think you will need that. The red plastic primer carriers are easier to put in the rifle than a loose 209 primer. I'm still using the red plasitic disc that I picked up off the ground when a local sales rep was doing a demo. I prime and deprime using my MEC 600 shotgun shell reloading press. I have wife run them through the dish waster to clean them up. Can reuse them at least half dozen times maybe more. Trigger pull is better than what I have seen on a lot of TC rifles.

Knight is out of business personally I do not buy obsolete, unless somebody buys and restarts that company parts may some day be not obtainable. They did make some fine rifles but not anymore.
Some times you get just what you pay for I feel in the case of the Triumph and the Encore this is true especially in the case of the Triumph.
CVA was the lowest quality on the market for many years but they have come a long way the CVA Optima Elite is a decent rifle for the price.
Keep the quality high enough to be safe and have good over all results.
A lot of people like the Omega, there is a rumor that there will be a new Omega released this year with some of the major improvements seen in the Triumph and the Endeavor if you are interested in that model [which may be the best buy for low dollars then consider waiting a bit.

Latest posts

Back