Zouave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swoter

Reaction score
Traded a Ruger MK2 50th anniversary last night for an old Hy Hunter Zouave. I sold this rifle a couple of years ago to a guy who wanted to use it in reenacting. Turns out he has not joined a unit yet, and has never fired the rifle. It shoots very well, by the way. I always kind of regreted selling it, so I was happy to get it back.
Spent about 4 hours today casting 200 or so minie balls for it, and about 50 roundballs. All I need now are some musket caps and I'll be all set.
Would upload a couple of pictures, but roadrunner has done away with the picture hosting, and I have to find a new sit. Tried photobucket, but they are very slow. Hopefully get to the range this weekend and try it out.

Good luck with the week end shoot. I love my Zouave and shoot only round balls out of it (with real good results). Tried a few Minnies that were a little too loose for my bore and got pretty bad results. Never bothered finding the right ones because round balls shot so well.

Put about 75 minies through it the other day. I need more practice, but was keeping most shots inside a 5.5 inch target at 50 yards. Using 50 grains goex 3f.

I cast about 50 round ball, I plan on taking them next time. Really like the way the minies load though, just slide right down. And the fact that I have about 400 of them now.

My Zouave is one of the more accurate muzzleloaders I own:

IMG_0205.JPG

It will shoot patched round balls into one jagged hole at 60yds. Only prob is it shoots them WAY high with no EASY way to adjust the sights to move the POI down:

IMG_0210.JPG

I THINK that is about eight shots!

I have some minie conicals to try one of these days!

Well, I see I have a long way to go! Hopefully get to the range on Friday again. Those are both nice looking too, mine is old and stained around the stock where you place your right hand from blackpowder residue.

I bought a front globe sight to raise the front sight on my zouave:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ymtrls ... 55xywgasv2))/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=763&partNum=FS-ZOUAVE
I have also heard of people drilling a hole through one of the rear leaf sights and using it as a peep.
Art
Edit:
The link doesn't take you right to the front sight but if you type zouave in the search box you will find it.
________
Oxycontin Rehab Forums

You did a very good job on that rifle. I've done a couple like that, most recently an old Russian M44. On it I stripped the old shellac off and put several coats of Minwax polyurethane/stain, antique oak if I remember right. I have thought about refinishing the Zouave but kind of like it the way it is. Gives it character. Haven't really made up my mind yet.

Latest posts

Back