Want a Good conical shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a percussion ML for shooting conicals. I have a limited budget so will likely get used if I can find one in good shape. I am partial to carbines for the area I hunt (heavy woods/brush, not shot over 100yds).

Can anyone let me know if the below rifles age good conical shooters?

T/C Renegade
T/C White Mountain
T/C Penn Hunter
T/C Hawken
Lyman Deerstalker
Cabelas Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine

Any others?

One other question while I have your attention.

Barrel twist ? I assume I want either 1/24 or 1/48. Which would be better if I am solely shooting conicals?

For a dedicated conical shooter I would get a 1/28" or 1/24" twist if you want to shoot long conicals such as th No Excuse bullets. Alot of people have good luck with the 1/48" twist with the shorter conicals suc as TC's maxi hunters/balls. If it were me I would get the Cabelas gun with the fast twist.

cabela's carbine

I have two of these, and they both shoot Great Plains 385 gr. quite good with 80gr. 777. One is 1:24, the other is 1:48, and there is no difference with the Great Plains. Unless you really want to hurl some serious lead, there is nothing wrong with a 1:48. The Cabela's rifles can occasionally be seen on the auction sites for really good prices - 100 - 175.00. If you can go 200, you will almost certainly find one.

Gotta agree on the full size rifle over the carbine. The rifle (I have 3 of those), is just better. I use my carbines for my treestands where ranges are 100 yards or less - usually 25 to 50. It is nice and handy, and carries easier when you have a buch of stuff - stand, backpack, etc.

Not sure why I lean towards the carbines. Most of my hunting is in fairly heavily wooded areas, I guess I like the maneuverability. But I don't want to sacrifice accuracy, at least to 100yds.

So it seems I am looking for at least 1:48 twist, preferably faster. I'm setting my budget at $200 and there seems to be quite a lot of deal on Gunbroker. Only problem is they hardly ever state the twist rate.

Thanks for the advice.

The Cabela's Hawkens , both standard and sporterized, are 1:48. The carbine will be 1:24 or 1:48.

If you look around you can find a nice used TC Hawken in 50 0r 54 caliber at a good price. The TC customer service is really good. Even if your new to you "use" rifle has some small issues, TC will fix it normally for free.

Back