A much needed (for me) reality shock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I was going to shoot a flintlock today. My T/C Hawkins with a 21 inch GMB .50 caliber 1-28 twist on it. I like to shoot conical bullets with this but decided today to shoot .430 diameter 300 grain Hornady XTPs with Green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I was using Goex 3f powder as the main charge and 4f as the prime.

I had everything out on the range...

yard3-23-10012.jpg

I walked out to set up the target at the normal 30 yards and discovered IT HAD MELTED FREE of the snow. I could move it. So I picked it up and ran it back to 66 yards according to the range finder. (the snow was still deep back in the woods)

yard3-23-10009.jpg

I was all excited and shot five rounds. When I checked the target, they were all low and kind of spread out.

I was not too happy with that so I started trying to change my POA to effect the POI. Well the results were not all that great. Granted I snuck one into the bull, and looked like it was a nice group on the side, but that was not a three shot group. That was a five shot group.

I was confused, is the rifle shooting that low? So I pulled it back in to 30 yards and swabbed the barrel clean.

yard3-23-10014.jpg

Shot #1 was still a little low. I then shot two more to check it and they were a nice group, but low. So I adjusted my sights and cleaned the rifle again. This time #4 was a little high and the next three was a good group. Actually I need to bring the sight up a little more.

I then threw a new target up and swabbed the barrel clean. I ran the target back to 68 yards this time and shot five shots. Well it was nothing to brag about. a three and a half inch group. All of them in that fat red square, but to be honest, I was glad the camera battery died. I guess it will be a lot more longer range shooting for me. But in all honesty, I just don't shoot good at long distances with open sights.

Cabelas had/has a 54 Sporterized Hawkens type carbine i WAS interested in before my last purchase.

Its a sweet little 50 or 54 BUT has a 1-24 twist. Sounds like a winner with a Magspark convervion nipple. The rife version is a 1-28..i think. Im partial to the slightly faster twist.

I love the shorter Hawkens style rifles. Very classy rifle. :yeah:

The Cabela's Sporterized Hawken Rifle is 1:48, whether in .50 or .54.
The carbines were 1:48, and went to 1:24, but I'm not sure when.

I read a couple posts and a review about them 1-24 twist carbines and they are quite the conical shooter. I have been tempted to get one, but I have four carbines now, and one of them is a 1-28 so that makes due for me.

But in all honesty, I just don't shoot good at long distances with open sights.

I share your ability (disability?) with open sights Cayuga. :? I can do OK with a peep and a good rest, but pretty much stink with traditional sights. I have to admit to shying away from shooting my open sight guns to avoid embarrassing myself.

Have you gotten good results with that load in the gun in the past? I've never had much luck with the green sabots and .430 bullets.

I have had good results with the 300 grain .430 diameter bullets. And I think they would make an excellent hunting load.

Next time out, I want to try some of the Gold Dots I have now.

heck cayuga open sights at 68yds.with a flint.i'd have been a happy camper with that group.my eyes are'nt gettin anybetter either....karl

Another thought...

Are you shooting that rifle from the position shown in the 1st pix above???

If so, that could be contributing to the groups/variation ("kind of spread out...") that you're getting.

Looks to me like the front rest is resting on the cleaning rod -- which is springy and light -- so that can't be good. In my experience, most rifles shoot better with the front rest closer to the action.

I'd suggest you try a different rest, and spend some time to get the rifle positioned exactly the same for each shot, and I'll bet a pound of powder you'll see some improvements.

No lie... The best benchrest shooters will typically spend 15 to 20 minutes setting up their front and rear rests at a match.

Tight groups,

Old No7

thanks.. I will be more careful of that next time out.

Dave....Ya can't close yur eyes when ya pull the trigger! :p

Hows that little dog? He been goin for any "walks" lately? :lol:

The old dog died, and I did not get that puppy I was looking at. Kind of a mix up with the breeder and me. Then we got into a "disagreement." So I backed out of the deal. I have another I am looking at down the road. That one is a Golden Retriever. So at present all I have is spring clean up and then wood cutting time.

Thats REALLY good shooting with open iron sights at that range, especially using a flint!! Non too shabby. I would be rather impressed with myself with those targets. Thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts

Back