Questions about a Knight .52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1. Anybody done any sort of testing with BH209?
2. Knight the only supplier of sabots?

Im looking to purchase a .52 cal. LRH and was going to use BH209 behind the 325 grain FTX that knight has out for them. I see the only choices from knight are the 325 gr FTX and the 275 gr Red Hot.

If you didn't buy one yet--DON'T. It was one of the bigger flops that Knight made. A collossal failure. It was heralded as better than a .50 or .54, but was better than neither. You are probably considering buying one because they're cheap now. It's not worth the aggrevation. It's the DODGE of the muzzleloader world. Not different to be better---just to be different. What you save on the purchase price you'll blow on the oddball accoutrements and the aggrevation of locating them. I'm pretty sure that everyone that purchased a .52 got a bumpersticker with it that says "DUPE".

I hear they are good shooters. But I have to agree with Mountainan in that I would stay away from them. When they came out I kind of questioned their reasoning for it.

Well I really hadn't thought of it that way. I did question the small selection of ammunition and the fact it seems that it is only available through Knight. Well thanks for the advice and let others chime in as well. I'll pass for now.

I felt and still feel that this was one of Knight's biggest mistakes. They quit making the 54cal and went to this oddball which never caught on with the muzzleloading community. What happens now that someone else has bought Knight will they keep supporting this oddity with bullets and sabots or will it drop off the radar. Buy one Not for me.

DC

I agree and disagree.

The Knight 52 can deliver more energy at 200 yards than most 50cals can at 100 yards. Its all in the twist and huge 375gr bullet they had special made for the 52.

Now with that being said.

A 54 cal designed to shoot 54x50s with a 1-24 and heavy charges would have been fairly close with the right bullet. Even a good .458 or .475 would have been awesome for the 54.

My GMB54 is a great short-mid range gun but the twist limits bullet weight and the short barrel isnt helping either.

Their best bet would have been to bring out the Ultimate Slam in a faster twist 50 then go from there. Its one of the few that would roughly match the 52 in long range knock down.

I would still gladly own one for the right price but not as my casual shooter.

BTW MMP shipped Knight a bunch of 52x475 sabots SO you might just be able to simulate the original load. Barnes and others offer some beefy .475 bullets.

Being one of the "dupes" that bought a .52 I can offer this advise. Forget about the sabots and bullets from Knight and go lead. I have found several sources for lead cast bullets and decided that even though I still have a good supply of the 375 Knight Red Hots I'd rather shoot lead. The .52 offers a lot of energy downrange and except for the limited offerings from Knight it still has a lot to offer. They're available at a bargain these days and it might be worth the effort to find an accurate lead bullet load.

i thought it was cool to see that last post. i've always wondered how those would shoot some big conicals.. i would imagine if a feller was to cast his own it would be a pretty mean set up, or just plain fun to shoot at a lot lower cost than buying yer ammo from Knight

Parker Productions sells huge 52 cal 530gr Hydra-Con and Traditional Hunter conicals.

traditional_new.gif

hydra_new.gif

With those Parker conicals, 80-100 grains of powder, and the Knight .52's 1:26 twist, that should be some real good medicine for ANY animal in North America.

If you can get a custom mold made for one of those bullets, you should be able to enjoy that rifle for a lifetime.

The rifles are solid shooters by all accounts, however the bullet selection and sabots are very limited. I don't think performance was ever an issue, however.

I use a 54 cal with 54/50 sabots it is very accurate and with 300 to 375 gr 50 caliber bullets and a 140 gr load of RS it is a real stomper, it put a hole out the far side of a deer with a 300gr hollow point that is the size of a shot glass and leaves a blood trail you could follow at a trot. I just wish TC or Knight still made one in the modern 209 versions.

Lee 9 said:
I use a 54 cal with 54/50 sabots it is very accurate and with 300 to 375 gr 50 caliber bullets and a 140 gr load of RS it is a real stomper, it put a hole out the far side of a deer with a 300gr hollow point that is the size of a shot glass and leaves a blood trail you could follow at a trot. I just wish TC or Knight still made one in the modern 209 versions.

Green Mountain did make an Extreme based 54cal carbine until the Knight buy out. My Knight Extreme black TH stock fit it too. :D

Well worth the $400 new.

Both of my 54s are deadly with the 50cal bullets and MMP purple sabots. The 50cal 385gr Rem CLHPs are really nasty with 110gr of BH209 in the GMB54.

Hopefully Knight bought the left over GMB54s and will offer them.

Back