I must be getting old

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
After a full weekend of shooting i am really sore. My neck and shoulder are killing me. All the recoil really aggravated a pre-existing back injury.

The little LK93 54 was pushed to its limits of the FPJ conversion. Im not sure which end puts out more punishment. Luckily i found a Knight slipon pad for it.

I took the Extreme 50 upto 120gr for a few shots. I didnt feel that bad even with 325gr bullets except for what NOW feels more like whiplash. :lol:

We worked on a couple loads for my old Ovation with bullets upto 325gr and conicals upto 385gr. It shoots only slightly softer than the LK93. I miss that one already. It shoots so well and Win209 primers fall out so clean and easy. Plus it has NEVER hang fired or failed to fire.

The new owner didnt want to shoot a stout load off hand until he saw me shoot it. :lol:

I think i need more lead for my Sled. :lol:

Have a great week everyone and keep Saxman in your thoughts and prayers.

Scott D

I can relate
My last session kicked my @$$
I usually drop my daughter off at school,go set up my stuff and shoot untill it's time to pick her up and that is all I want for a few days.
My groups open up when I'm tired and bad habits start to come back so I'll quit for a while and then go back at it.
I miss that extra 50 lbs of recoil absorbtion I've lost in the last few months.It's exposed my shoulder bones but the sled really helps.

If I limit myself to around 25 shots or so, I am fine. Its when I really extend a shooting session that I feel it. Not so much in my back, but my shoulder takes a little beating.

You're right Semisane. You can sit out there and shoot roundball guns all day and it never seems to bother you at all.

Im tempted to find a cheap 32 or 36 cal just for a fix no and then.

One of the shops around here has an old Hawkens type in 32 or 36 for less than $200 in very nice shape.

Did TC make a old smaller caliber Hawkens? My old 45 Hawkens was really mild too with PRBs.

I really liked the GM Disc style 32 Squirrel rifle but there was NWIH i was paying $800 for it.

The .32 or .36 caliber made by Thompson Center were usually in the Cherokee and Seneca model rifles. Very good quality rifles both of them. At one time they did make a .32 caliber I believe for the System One rifle also. Which was an inline that allowed you a shotgun barrel, .50 caliber inline barrel and the small game barrel. As I remember they sold them once with all three barrels included in the deal. That would have been a good one to get.

If they have that .32 for under $200.00 and the gun is in good shape, that is a steal.

I have a friend that shoots ball out of a .45 traditional rifle and he said the same thing. He can plink all day and it never bothers him. He does deer hunt with the rifle and takes deer with it.

Semisane said:
Heavy bullets and lots of powder will do that. But fifty round balls out of a heavy Renegade with GOEX will never hurt you. :wink:

you said it semi :wink: but i still shoot the hot loads now and again..
karl

Im now convinced the combination of Montana Bore polish and Conditioner do work. The LK cleaned up really nice and easy after all the conicals and moly.

I ran about 50 passes of the polish on 2 patches and its silky smooth. I give the breach area a light coating of the conditioner instead of oil and the carbon wipes off MUCH easier.

Im sold.

The slipon recoil pad fit perfect too and should really make a difference and the added length of pull is just about right now.

Its the best $138 total with addons ive ever spent on a ML. Knight would be wise to offer a similar design when they get going again. :yeah:

Scott

i too like the conditioner. The bore in my Optima since ive used it looks damn near like my Accura's.

frontier gander said:
i too like the conditioner. The bore in my Optima since ive used it looks damn near like my Accura's.

Try the Bore Polish or Copper Cream. Patches come out black as pitch even on a spotless barrel....just like Mothers polish does on aluminum wheels. Clean that out with a couple of Windex patches and finish up with the conditioner.

The difference is very noticeable and the old gal shoots great. Using a conical, i just run one dry patch before shooting and load her up. No fouling BS needed. :yeah:

Back