What do you use for a shooting rest?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
When I saw Frontier Gander was useing a pillow case full of sand for a range rest, it got me thinking that I need a new one. Im currently useing a cheap Kolpin rest that is not very stable. It clamps on the forend and I think it could effect accuracy. I dont have a very steady hand so I need something solid. So lets hear it... what do yall reccomend?

If you want a bunch of quick & cheap home made bags that work quite well, place a plastic grocery bag inside of one of your old cotton socks. Fill it with sand, then tie the plastic bag with string, then tie the sock with string. You can make several "fill densities" to see what combination works for you, and even put string around the center of the sock to make a "butterfly" bag for the fore-end and butt-stock.

The least expensive Caldwell lead sled for about $70 on sale. It fairly portable and not too heavy.

This isn't the one I have which is an outers rest that is blaze orange but it is basically the same thing. I have had thousands of rifles and muzzleloaders shoot over it (our club has a sight in clinic before deer season). It is rock solid. I then use a sand bag in the rear.
I give it 5 stars!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=477308

A lot of things will work for a rest, but a good portion of them do not shoot quite the same as off hand. Since I target shoot all year and also hunt a good portion of the year I need something that keeps my guns shooting the same off the bench and off hand.
I have tried many things and in the end this is what I use; bags made from flower sacks that are 80 percent filled with either rice or sand and a pistol rest that is adjustable. I use a small rabbit eared bag on the pistol rest and a squeeze bag full 80% of rice under the stock half way between the wrist and the butt, I put the front rest right under the screw that holds the stock and the barrel together by screwing into the lug. This is what works for me. Lee

A lot of things will work for a rest, but a good portion of them do not shoot quite the same as off hand. Since I target shoot all year and also hunt a good portion of the year I need something that keeps my guns shooting the same off the bench and off hand.

This is my experience too. i use a leather rabbit ear back rest and an adjustable pistol rest with a small leather bag. The pistol rest is placed to the rear of the sling swivel stud so that the stud does not hit the bag when the gun recoils.

Have seen a lot of hunters come the range to sight in their guns. They bring their lead sleds and zero their guns without ever removing the gun from the lead sled. After they miss or wound a deer or hog i see those same guys come back to the range to check their zero.

yard3-7-10005.jpg

I use a very inexpensive Caldwell rest. I mean it was like $19.99 on sale or maybe it was $29.99. Anyway it was cheap. And it works just fine for me. I also have Caldwell bags both front and back filled with rice. They work well also.

Lead sled plus
But I usually only use 25lbs of weight
As my shooting progress I hope to be able to use bags or just a front rest

Back