just to be sure...one more bh209 question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
ok so I found the powder today at basspro for $30 or so.

will be using for the first time on range this weekend. shooting TC encore and 250SW's with the sabots that come with the SW's since the harvesters have not been delivered yet.

for a starting load and using my lil TC measure tube I should pour powder in until it hits the 110 mark, correct?

also, do you just pour from the BH209 bottle or use a lil funnel or what?

just want to be sure since I have never worked with the loose powder

Yes, I use the same funnel that fits the pyro/triple 7 bottles. Pull down on the powder guage till she sits on 110 and pour in the powder. I tried to tap it like I do (did) pyro/triple 7, but BH doesn't settle very much. Push the slide over and pour. Don't forget to use good pressure to seat the bullet/sabot and be consistent as much as you can.

You might want to try 100 gr. of BH first since your using the lighter 250 SW. I use the 300 XTP and 110 gr. works for me with that bullet.

Sabot, does that spout fit the top of the BH209 canister?

Yes with that cap on the jug of powder, you can then pour into your powder measure and then dump from the powder measure right down the barrel of your rifle.

Get some speed load tubes and when you want to go hunting, pour out five or so tubes to carry in your pocket and you have your powder all pre-measured. All I do is then carry the sabots and projectiles in an altoid tin lined with cloth patches for swabbing, and a dog bone capper, and I am set to go.

I picking up some BH209 today and have some order from Cabelas.
Going to try Barnes 250 and 290's I think. Since I'm going to the powder I need to get some measuring devices. I hope the place I'm has what I need!

thanks again, if I get any shooting done around my bowhunting this weekend I will post results early in the week.

FWIW, I have always used empty saline bottles. The ones used for contact lense eye care. I just ask a few people who wear contacts to save a bottle for me when it runs out. Using the empty saline bottles is a practise that I started when using black powder and then bp substitutes.

The bottles come in several sizes. The pour spout on the bottle needs to be opened up a bit. A drill bit and reamer make that about a 30 second job. For me it comes in real handy having a small one using FFFFg for my flintlock's flashpan.

My thinking is they do not spill as much powder when bumped over. The bottles do not hold a full pound of powder but then again I have never shot a full pound of powder during a range session. Every time I fill my powder measure I am not always exposing air to the full pound of powder. I get real good shelf life because they seal tight. I still have a bottle of the early BlackMag3 that hasn't clumped up real badly. A majic marker is all it takes to label the contents of the bottle for those that like to experiment with several powders at a time. It's free.

Latest posts

Back