Butler Creek scope covers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Anyone ever used these? I bought them for my Optima today for $7.25 each and was wondering how well they do at keeping the weather out.

Also picked up a lb of pyrodex rs and winchester w209 primers. Damn prices have gone up!

Also, Camo scope rings for the cva optima, where can i get them?

Buying

Okay boys get ready, were going to have to bail FG out next. Wonder if congress will help? I use them and love them.the trick is making sure you have them flipped up for shooting. I only used the front end cap as it took the weather when I was walking or sitting. The back one, if i sit I just put my hanky over it.

I have butler creeks on all my scopes. I really like them. They keep the weather out and protect the lenses while hunting/walking. Also keeps dust off lenses during storage.

:lol: Let me buy more powerbelts before you offer a bail out. Only ordered 100 of them as of now.

I bought the front cover that you use your thumb to flick the corner and then i bought the rear cover that uses a red button. They fit tight so i am hoping it does a good job. Haven't hunted with a scope in years and the last time i remember, i had snow flakes all over the glass.

scope

Be sure not to press them down onto the front bell to hard as the lip of the scope will make the cover open on it's own. Do they still have that tacky paper w/ them Gander? That is somewhat helpful. My Dad lost a buck over those scope covers and I beleive they are somewhere in the woods of Tioga County, PA near Antrim. I remember his vivid vocabulary that day! I think the deer was laughing to but I still have not told him that joke!

Looks like they have updated since then as mine has a lip on the outside of the cover and the plastic snaps tightly against it.

What kind of tacky paper?

Wish the button on the rear cover was on the right but i looked through everything the shop had and they were all the same with the button being on the left.

Batchief909 said:
frontier gander said:
:lol: Let me buy more powerbelts before you offer a bail out. Only ordered 100 of them as of now.

What didja order??
:lol:

Midsouth had a big sale going on so i was able to pick up 100 (5 packages of 20) 348gr powerbelts @ $9 per package. I figure that should keep me shooting for a little while.

Should have ordered more but you know how that goes. I'll be kicking myself later on.

Should have plenty to keep me in action until my november elk hunt.

FG

It was a double sided tacky paper that went around the outside of the bell on the scope and inside the scope cover. It was an attempt to hold it in place. I like your model better! I like flip up scope covers and have had no problems w/ them!

I use them a lot but be real careful at cold temps with them

They stay on my rifles until it goes below freezing (that would be mid-October some years in Vt, NH, Me :lol: ) I've had problems with the scope front lens frosting up from moisture trapped under the covers. Particular problems when I cradle the weapon so my clothes and body drives moisture in. Most of my scopes are now Elites (best move I ever made) but I still have a couple Leupolds that wear the cover on the front. They will keep the snow out but just keep an eye on the lens because you can flip a frosted cover out of the way quick but when your objective lens is iced up, you need to reach for the hanky and clean it.

Every hunting rifle I have that has a scope has them. They keep the dirt off, water out. I keep the eyepiece closed in bad weather and hold the gun downward with the objective open.

I too have them on all my scopes. Great product, really keeps the lenses clean. Never had a problem with lens frosting, but I always sit with the caps open. They are closed in transport, and if there's precipitation. Good luck with the elk frontier, I hope we see some hero pics after the hunt!

I am another fan of them. Other than the occasional time when there is not enough room between the objective bell and the barrel to fit them in, I use them on most all of my guns.

One thing to keep in mind is on a hard recoiling gun that has a scope with minimal eye relief, they do take up some of the space between your head and the eye piece.

I have been using them for close to 20 years. All of my scopes wear a pair. Never had a problem unless I had an oddball scope that was in between sizes. Double backed tape took care of that.

The old models use to come with a small piece of foam to deaden the noise when flipping them open. The newer models are re-designed to not need that extra piece. Good thing, after a couple of years, cleaning solvent would disolve the glue on the foam and they would fall off for me. Without that foam piece, deer can hear that noise, I know!

I've been using the Butler Creek scope covers for about 24 years. Haven't found anything as good for the purpose.

Thanks guys!

Heres the Optima with the covers,
Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

after seeing them on your rifle. I may have to break down and get some after looking at them for 3 years.

another thing I can blame on ya jon. :lol: :p

Back