taking a muzzleloader to africa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain1

Reaction score
Can I take my powder and primers? Or do I have to get them over there? Is modern 777 or American Pioneer availible in Africa/Namibia?

brain1 said:
Can I take my powder and primers? Or do I have to get them over there? Is modern 777 or American Pioneer availible in Africa/Namibia?

Hauling BP & Primers on an aircraft is prohibited per my read of other posts. If ur booked with an outfitter I would think they would be a great source of info for the particular locale of Africa for supply. My guess is thats it readily available there in our modern worldwide economy. The world really aint that big anymore.

Full List Of Hodgdon International Dealers:

http://www.hodgdon.com/dealers/index.php

Can you mail your pre-measured powder/primers out about a month before the trip?

I'm not using true black powder, I'm using Hodgdon Triple 7, and American Pioneer powder. I am trying to locate a supply in Namibia, but have been unable so far. I'm new to this forum but not new to BP hunting. I am just wondering if any of you guys have been there, done that, and how.

brain1 like I posted go over to accurate and talk with Terry or Hunter Jim and those guys,, several are outfitters as well as big game hunters, if there is a contact I'm sure they have it.

I saw a post samiliar to this a short time ago.it was posted that in USA flights you can carry or ship loaded ammo.The poster said you can legally reload shotgun shells with what ever powder you needed to transport.THIS WAS FOR TRANSPORT for air in the USA.This may not apply for travel out of the country.

Jim Shockey could probably answer your question about taking a ML to Africa, he does it quite often on his shows. There's a place on his website called "Jim Shockey Answers Your Questions". Don't know how soon you would get a reply though. I would probably contact an outfitter that specializes in African safaris.
http://www.jimshockey.com/

ml to africa

brian 1

I have made 2 trips to africa with ML and I just loaded the powder in to shot gun shells(spent primers!) put them into the box of 25 and your set. I put plastic wad upside down to keep them (Pyrodex pellets) from rattling arround then crimped shut.

you will need to list your ammo when you get there and list it as 25 rounds or 50 rounds of 12 ga shot shells

kirk

Back