Options for easy bolt removal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
Well, Encoreguy is considering a ML-II. I know, I know that goes against my encoreguy designation, but a guy deserves to have more than one smokeless muzzle loader doesn't he? :D Anyway my one hang-up (I know it is minor) with the Savage is the fact that you cannot easily take out the bolt for cleaning. I know I can add a third pillar and if anyone has had someone do it for them, what did something like that run? What are my other options? If I get one, I will remain Encoreguy since now I am starting to really enjoy handgun hunting. :lol:

RBinAR can do all of that stuff. Shoot him an email or PM.

The removal of the bolt is no big deal for me. I put a small dot of paint on the two action screws and their adjoining pillars and with just a few turns of an allen wrench on the back one, the bolt removes for easy bore cleaning. After cleaning, slip the bolt back in, torque the action screw (you need only loosen the rear one for bolt removal) until the dots line back up and I'm good to go. I've never had a noticeable POI change from doing this. I have the laminated stock 10ML-II. I also have Pocampo's EZ Tool for removal of the breechplug at the range if I need to clean the plug or check the ventliner for wear. As mentioned earlier, you can send the gun to one of several places for the 3rd pillar installation and bedding, but I haven't ever seen the need for it, at least on my gun. It was plenty accurate right out of the box as is.

Kyle, with the E-zy tool, you do not have to take the bolt out to clean your bore.Set up a range time meeting,I have all of the Sav,gadgets.You can try them all out and see what you think........got a laminate and the sons new rig for you to shoot to.......

Tar-12 said:
Kyle, with the E-zy tool, you do not have to take the bolt out to clean your bore.Set up a range time meeting,I have all of the Sav,gadgets.You can try them all out and see what you think........got a laminate and the sons new rig for you to shoot to.......

I tell you what, guys (and gals), this is one of the reasons I have really enjoyed my whole journey towards smokeless muzzleloading; the willingness to share. I am just amazed and always thankful for all the sound advice and knowledge that is given by people in the know. Sometimes you get overwhelmed by some of the negativity in the world, but if you spend any time here you will see all the good that is out there being freely given.
My compliments!

Encoreguy, there is another option, I don't advocate it, you can take out the rear action screw and grind off the top so it doesn't hold the bolt in. The bolt will fall out any time you open it. You can always call savage and but an extra one if you want to try this method.

Latest posts

Back