New Member Bone Collector

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to this sport and just bought a Bone Collector. The firearm experts at the store also set me up with Triple 7 50/50 Pellets, Hornady 50 cal 45-300 XTP MAG Sabots, and Remington Kleanbore 209 primers. Is this a good place to start or should I head in another direction? Also what does the 45-300 XTP Mag stand for? I am planning on heading to the range sometime this week to put a few rounds through it. What is a good range to start shooting at targets for a newbie? Thanks in advance!

With Triple Seven you will need to swab between shots for accuracy. If you do not swab between shots after 2 shots you will never be able to seat the bullet because of the crud ring. Get some lubed patches or run a wet patch down the bore about 15 times followed by a dry one and you will have no problem with Triple Seven. 300 grain 45 caliber XTP bullet and you need black sabots. Just use a two pellet load. If you do not get the accuracy you want then swith to Triple Seven 2F loose powder and start at 90 grains or go for it all and get Blackhorn 209 with some Federal 209A primers and never have to swab between shots again.

Get the gun printing dead center about 2" high at 50yds and you will be good at 100yds.

I am new to this sport and just bought a Bone Collector. The firearm experts at the store also set me up with Triple 7 50/50 Pellets, Hornady 50 cal 45-300 XTP MAG Sabots, and Remington Kleanbore 209 primers. Is this a good place to start or should I head in another direction? Also what does the 45-300 XTP Mag stand for? I am planning on heading to the range sometime this week to pur a few rounds through it. What is a good rang to start shooting at targets for a newbie? Thanks in advance!

Triple Seven pellets will work fine. Your rifle can handle three of them (150 grains of powder) but really all you need is two of them (100 grains of powder). After you run out of the pellets, change over to loose Triple Seven 2f or Pyrodex RS in loose form. Just get a powder measure, set it at 100 and fill it. Same thing as your two pellets except with loose triple seven 2f you will have about 15% more power then in pellet form.

The Kleenbore Primers will work just fine. Even with pellets or loose powder. Also that 45-300 grain XTP Mag will drop about anything you want to shoot. Other good bullets are the 250 grain Shockwaves, 200 grain Shockwaves, Nosler, Barnes, but all of that will come with time. Just shoot off the 300 grain XTP and enjoy the rifle.

After you have cleaned the new rifle you will protect the barrel with gun oil. So before you shoot!! Get a bottle of Windex or at the Dollar Store their brand of windex. Also get some shooting patches. Do you have any old 100% cotton socks with holes in them... now is the time to cut them up for patches. Makes great patches and makes the wife happy you are throwing them away. Cotton T shirts are another good source of patches. Or just buy some. So take a patch and spray some windex on it. You want the patch damp but not soaking wet. Now with a cleaning/loading jag on your ramrod, start working that patch down the bore of the rifle in three inch short strokes. Work it like that all the way to the breech. You have now removed the oil from the barrel. Now a dry patch. Work it the same way. All the way to the breech. This will dry the Windex out of the barrel. Leave that patch at the bottom of the breech for a second, put a Kleenbore primer in the gun and fire the primer off. This blows all the oil out of the breech plug onto the dry patch. Pull that patch and look for burn marks. If you have them you are set to shoot.

Drop two of the Triple Seven pellets down the bore. Then come out of the plastic box like a crane lifting them on that pipe cleaner, then lower them the same way into the bore of the rifle. Push them off the pipe cleaner and they will fall down the bore of the rifle. On the bottom of them is a trace of black powder. That is way it is so important to load the the correct way.

Now put the bullet into the sabot. As a unit, put that into the false muzzle of the rifle. With your short starter, push that down the bore as far as the short starter will reach. Now with the ramrod, push that projectile down the bore of the rifle until it is FIRMLY resting on the two pellets. Not crushing the pellets mind you, but you want no air space between the powder and the sabots. Put a primer in and you are ready to fire.

So you have fired and am standing there with that big grin on your face. Now take a clean patch and spritz it with the windex. Work that down the bore just as you did to remove the oil. This will take out the fouling in the bore and remove the crud ring in the bottom of the bore (if there is one). Now a dry patch or two. You are ready to load again, and fire.

Thanks, I will want to take the breach plug out while i am swabbing out the barrel correct?? And should I go from the muzzle to the breach or the other way around? This aspect isnt covered in the manual. Thanks for all of the help.

*Also I was wondering for cleaning aspects, should I use a bore guide?

No need to pull the breech plug to just swab between shots. I like to use 2 inch cotton flannel patches for the 50 cal.. Wet the patch with something like water, Spit, or windex. Start the patch from the muzzle end and run it down the bore in short up and down strokes going a little farther each stroke till you reach the plug. Do not try to run it all the way down to the breech plug in one stroke, it will stick on the crud ring from the fired round. After you reach the plug remove the patch and dry swab with a clean dry patch. Now reload and shoot, then repeat. You really only need to remove the breech plug when you give the barrel a thorough cleaning after your trip to the range. Have fun!

ShawnT

When you are done shooting for the day you will want to clean the rifle really good. Clean the barrel with whatever cleaning solution you choose until your patch comes out clean. Then remove the breech plug and clean the soot off the face and then remove any primer fouling from the flash channel with the correct drill bit, I think 1/8 ". If you have a welders torch cleaner you can find the correct size and then clean out the flash hole. Clean the inside threads of the barrel where the breech plug goes then put some grease on the plug threads and re-INSERT IGNORE the breech plug. Take a patch now with some oil and lightly coat the inside bore. Just remember to swab the oil out before your next range trip and to snap a few primers before the first shot.

When I used Triple Seven I used CVA's saturated barrel patches to clean and to swab between shots. If using these to swab between shots you need to squeeze the excessive lube out of the patch before cleaning then follow with a dry patch. I had 1/2 " groups with 80 and 90 grains of 2F Triple Seven in my Encore with Bergara barrel using 240 gr XTP's and Harvester's Crush Rib Sabots.

Have fun

I hit the range today to tame my jitters and get more familiar with the act of charging and firing. I noticed a few things that I have questions about.

First and foremost the bullet/sabot was extremely difficult to get started. It took well over 20 lbs of force to get that thing in, and I am afraid that the pressure may have deformed the bullet. Any suggestions? The limbsaver really makes it difficult to distribute enough pressure for this act. And I made sure to windex swab after every shot, as well as dry swabs to ma.ke sure there was nothing left.

I noted that while firing the ramrod would break loose and actually had some carbon stuck on the end. This happend on all 6 of my shots. Is there any way to tighten this up, or should i just shoot it without the ramrod in its place.

My accuracy was way off as well, but I will chalk that up to inexperience. For now this is all I can think of. Thanks

Try Harvester's Crushed rib sabots. They will load easier. I have used all of Harvester's crushed rib sabots in my sons Triumph and it loads smoothly. I do use a starter though. Green for .44, black for .45 and blue for .40 cal bullets. If you still have problems with the crushed ribs ( or if you are already using them ) you may want to clean the barrel with some JB Paste on a patch attached to a 45 cal. cleaning brush. The easiest loading bullet sabot combos in his Triumph were the 260 grain Harvester PT or 250 grain Hornady SST with the crushed rib sabot.

I leave my ramrod out while I am shooting. I guess its just a personal preference.

It seems to me that if one wants one's rifle shooting to the same point of aim whilst hunting, as it does at the range, one should shoot with the ram rod in place. The fact that the ram rod comes out during a shot, makes it ready to use for the reload.

Ramrod

While at the range I always replace my ramrod where it is when I am hunting. Create the habit or someday while hunting you may need a second shot in a hurry and start looking for your ramrod on the bench. You need to know where it is in all situations so get used to one place for it. Also when I shoot my ramrod always comes out a little bit. Not a problem at all.

Welcome to the forum.
The next few steps are very important.
Save yourself NOW!!!!!!
Send me the Bone Collector and back away quickly from the possibles.
It's a sickness with no known cure but to buy MORE gun's and STUFF.

I'm trying to help you out here,it's to late for me but you can be saved.
PM me for address. :D :D

Welcome and be safe.

Welcome to the forum.
The next few steps are very important.
Save yourself NOW!!!!!!
Send me the Bone Collector and back away quickly from the possibles.
It's a sickness with no known cure but to buy MORE gun's and STUFF.

I'm trying to help you out here,it's to late for me but you can be saved.
PM me for address.

Welcome and be safe.

Haw-haw for sure have fun man! You have had your first taste of it, !

Back