Why I shoot a White Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I am still frozen in at 30 yards but that will all change soon with this warm weather.

Today was really windy. I mean a nasty cross wind. But it was in the 50's and that's too nice of a day not to shoot. So I had to pick a rifle that wind would not bother. Looking at the rack, I decided big lead would be the call for the day.

So I got out my .451 caliber White Model 97. This rifle has a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32mm scope. It also has a 22 inch barrel. I had bought some No Excuses .451 diameter 460 grain conical bullets for it and so I decided to try them. Other wise I shoot the Bull Shop conical bullets.

I decided to try Triple Seven 3f powder. I guessed at 80 grains of powder.

yard3-18-10003.jpg

With the way the snow is melting, next week I will be able to move back in distance finally. Which is good. A scoped rifle at 30 yards is kind of easy, but it is fun to shoot good groups.

My first shot was low out of the barrel. It was then my notes indicate I treat this rifle with Montana X-treme bore conditioner. Whether that was the cause of the low shot I can not say. But then with a new box of bullets and a jug of powder, I started shooting as fast as I could. Being it was my White rifle, it was not necessary to swab the bore between shots.

Getting bored of that hole I was making, I adjusted the scope several clicks to the right. I then started all over again.

yard3-18-10004.jpg

I realized I was making a nice hole but hardly doing anything more then shooting off my conical bullets and burning up my powder. I was going to stop for the day and wait until I could move back, but then decided just a few more conicals.

I picked out a spot on the target that was free of holes. I even swabbed the barrel to make this interesting before shooting five more without swabbing.

yard3-18-10005.jpg

I did mess up. I hit the red solid part and was trying to keep them just above that red block of color in between the two fat red lines. But for a five shot group, I will take it. Also I slowed down and really took my time.

After that I stopped shooting. Now the cleaning report. Like I mentioned, I had been treating this barrel with Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner. I am not saying this Bore Conditioner was the cause for my cleaning joy. But I removed the barrel, held it outside and squirted Simple Green Down the bore. I noticed the fouling was washing out with the spray. I then sprayed ONE patch with Simple Green and pushed that through. I then hit it with a dry patch and a second dry patch. The second dry patch came out with no trace of fouling. Did the Bore Conditioner cause this easy clean up? Can't say. Maybe it was the Simple Green. That is a good cleaner. But I did apply more bore conditioner to the barrel again.

Ho Hum another boring story about White ML's. We all know they can shoot like that !! :lol:

Hoping I can get out this weekend and shoot mine.

Cayuga, I learn a lot from your posts and am jealous of how often you are able to shoot. What does a 30yd group with a scoped rifle supposed to tell me?

At 30yds a bullet fired at 1500fps reaches the target 0.060 seconds, not much time for wind, gravity, or twist rate to have much effect. I'd love to see how those long bullets group at 100, 150, or even 200!

I hope when things thaw out up there you can stretch it out so I can get an idea what the rifle/bullet can do (I have my eye on one :wink: )

Thanks,

Jim

Never had a white but sure have heard good things about them good shooting Dave

I'd LOVE to buy a White. I'm a TC fan, but I've heard nothing but good about Whites. My problem is I'd most likely be single after the purchase. She likes the idea of me having a hobby and LOVES the meat in the freezer, but for some reason, she FIRMLY believes that I have enough guns. I don't have that same belief, but I gotta keep the peace somehow :wink: . She wouldn't necessarliy object if I get rid of one to buy one, but I'M NOT GETTING RID OF MY BLACK DIAMONDS.

Urban_Redneck

Whites are AWESOME! shooting guns - no matter what you are shooting...

10-2WhiteTBHPL2.jpg

Here is another 100 yard target shooting 40 cal bullets - the 1/24 twist rate is the key....

White-Lehigh-Label.jpg

cayugad that is beautiful shooting, the problem you will have as you well know the holes in that taget aint gunna much bigger a 100 yards. Gotta love a White. I sure do!!

This is why I bought a White. I just need to get out, and shoot it. I plan on trying some Hornady Great Plains.

You can try those Great Plains bullets but you would be much better off with some NoExcuses or some of Bull Shop's.

Underclocked said:
You can try those Great Plains bullets but you would be much better off with some NoExcuses or some of Bull Shop's.

I'd love to try some Bullshops in either the 445gr UC short or the 460gr MT NEx or 500gr MT New. Would I have him size them to .5045 or just .504 or even .505.

The bullets Doc gave me slide right to the bottom with just a slight push. The Great Plains take a little bit of pressure to get them down.

Just getting the super 91 has taxed the gun fund for quite a while. So I don't think i'll be getting any bullets for a couple months, but when that time does come I want to order the right size.

In my White S91 I have Dan size the bullets right at .504. I would contact dan and see if he would sell you a sample pack of bullets (ie .5035's 504's, 5045's). I tried some 5045's and had to hammer them down.
By the the way the 460's shoot best out of my gun and the 500's the worst.

Nimrodder said:
In my White S91 I have Dan size the bullets right at .504. I would contact dan and see if he would sell you a sample pack of bullets (ie .5035's 504's, 5045's). I tried some 5045's and had to hammer them down.

Thanks

I've read alot of good things about the 460gr bullshops just need to get some money to get some.

Nimrodder said:

Same here!! cept my S91 .504 likes them trashcans best.

The other day was a day here in Northern Wisconsin. It was sunny, no wind, and in the 50's . I mean what more could you ask for. So I made up a target and headed for the range. I noticed the snow was really down, so I took it all the way back to the steel pit today. I got three reading on the range finder.. 84, 86, and 85 so I called it 85 yards.

I had shot my .451 White Model 97 and someone wanted to know what would happen at further distances. And since I had not shot my White Ultra Mag .504 in a long time, I decided to give the Ultra Mag the nod today.

I got nice and comfortable behind the rifle and fired off two shots.

yard3-24-10wum007.jpg

I was hitting a little high, but then the rifle is sighted in for 100 yards. I would not think 15 more yards would have made that difference, but at least the first two were close together. Also I then thought ... the barrel is squeaky clean, and has Montana X-treme Bore treatment in it. So lets just keep shooting. The next four were much better. And I adjusted my POA for #7. I have a thing about hitting the bulls eye. So I was pleased. That is what a White will do with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a .5045 Bull Shop Conical. No wads, and CCI magnum caps.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and decided to test Goex, Pyrodex P and finally Triple Seven 2f again. I started with 70 grains of Goex 3f and the same weight conical.

yard3-24-10wum008.jpg

I was more then pleased with the way the rifle shot Goex. So I swabbed the barrel with Birchwood Casey #77 and then decided to test it with the Pyrodex P.

I know a lot of people claim 70 grains of Pyrodex P and these 460 grain conical bulletss shoot real well, but my Ultra Mag always does better with Triple Seven for some reason. This tests kind of proves that point.

yard3-24-10wum005.jpg

I was a little shocked with the Pyrodex P. The first two hits were out of the bull even. But as the barrel got a little fouled, it started to behave a little better. My White shoots best on a dirty barrel. And that is a fact. Maybe I just needed a powder charge adjustment, a wad, or a dirty barrel?

I then swabbed the barrel again and decided to shoot the Triple Seven for the last corner bull. If I had not seen this, and done this, I am still kind of shocked. I never swabbed or checked the target. I just shot the three shots, then checked the target. And I did not try to push the issue with more shots.

yard3-24-10wum006.jpg

To say that did not bring a smile to my face is an understatement. I will note, the shooting conditions were about perfect. Even the sun placement and the reflection of it on the target was perfect. And I took my time and was really concentrating on the trigger pull and how I addressed the weapon. But I really was happy with that group.

So over all I proved to myself that with good optics, I can still shoot past 30 yards.. But most of all I find that when I shoot that Ultra Mag it just makes a great day at the range..

Cayuga,
that is some great shooting and that last group is why I also will be shooting a "White" rifle :roll: :shock: :!:

Pocampo

great shooting with a great rifle. do you get any of the buildup (crud ring) using triple 7? i have not shot any triple 7 in any of my whites yet because of this possibility.

Latest posts

Back