Inlines and roundballs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I know, inlines are not made to shoot round balls. Well that is not entirely true. Maybe they should say, not made to shoot them well. But again, it depends on the powder charge.

I was talking to forum members, and the subject has came up.. whats a good light load for a small frame person, and will an inline shoot a roundball.

camera051.jpg

Today I took out my Knight LK-93 .50 caliber. It has a 1X Traditions ($50.00 cost) scope. Legal for our hunting season here in Wisconsin. Also a great aiming point. My intention was to see how well this one shot roundball.

I wanted to see how low a charge it would shoot. So I have my small pistol flask loaded with Triple Seven 3f powder. I had moosemilk, and pillow tick, and a lot of home cast roundball. The weather looked dangerous. It was humid as all get out. And 80 degrees (which for September in Wisconsin is strange in itself). But I took the chance and shot anyway.

camera045.jpg

I never swabbed the barrel clean with alcohol. Which I later think was a bad mistake. The first shot was a hang fire. I then remembered this had Montana X-treme bore treatment in it. So I decided not to swab the barrel at all, and just keep shooting. with 32 grains of powder (I later learned by measuring two charges) this was a dream to shoot. No more recoil then a .22 caliber rifle IMO. And it was pretty accurate.

But I wanted to see how much I could push the little rifle, and make it a lethal weapon for a small frame person and lets say close range. So I doubled the small flask charger and it measured 65 grains of the T-7 3f. Now IMO this is getting somewhat real lethal for close shots. If someone has a chronograph and thinks of it, measure out 65 grains of T-7 3f and a roundball and get a reading.

camera049.jpg

This had moderate recoil. Nothing to get excited about. But I really think this load would have hunting potential. Even for White tail as a moderate range. The accuracy was excellent, and even in the drizzle it kept shooting.

I then swabbed the barrel and that is where the trouble started. I am "guessing" that since I did not take the bore conditioner out of the barrel, it did a few things. First, very little fouling for all those shots, and never swabbing. BUT did the glass cleaner liquid slide into the breech plug and make "a plug." I could not get the rifle to fire after I swabbed.

camera052.jpg

That's the actual patch from a glass cleaner spritz patch and then two dry ones. Then the trouble started. I was going to keep shooting in the drizzle and test some 200 grain XTP 10mm with the same powder charge. Well I loaded after swabbing, and popped cap after cap after cap. If I was not dead certain I loaded that rifle correctly, I would have swore it was a dry load.

So I pulled the breech plug and pushed out a plug of powder. It looked just like a custom fit pellet. I have it drying and am going to see if it returns to powder or if I can shoot it off next time.

Since it was now raining, I called it quits for the day. But I do think, that a roundball and 65 grains of Triple Seven 3f out of a good inline, might be an excellent small frame person load for moderate range deer hunting.

I definitely agree with you on the fact that a 65 to 70gr load with patched ball would be a lethal load. I've shot 70gr of 2fg 777 quite a bit out of my Knight USAK and get accuracy comparable to yours and it chronographs at 1544fps with a calulated muzzle energy of 953ft lbs. With the testing I've done between 2fg & 3fg 777, I'd say using 3fg powder would add maybe 70 to 80fps to that reading

But I know a 30gr load of Goex 3fg will kill a 125lb boar out of an 1858 revolver (.44 cal) at 10 to 15 yds - then a .50cal ball launched at 1500+fps out of a rifle has a LOT more potential for destruction.

Looks like fun Dave. You aren't throwing a lot of money downrange with that load either. I think I will have to try that myself.
Art

Interesting report Cayugad. I'll have to try a few patched balls in the Mustang. It would be really interesting if everyone on this board would shoot a few balls through their in-lines with 50, 60 and 70 grains of powder and report the results.

What is the lowest powder charge you can shoot and still have the ball exit the barrel?

Spit.. if you have ever dry balled a rifle. I have backed a bolster with if lucky, 5 grains of powder. Put a cap on that and it will throw a ball 25 yards and bounce it half way back to you.

i've done it

once when i had no money left, just the will to hunt, i shot roundballs out of my old knight American. 100 grains by pellet, and a rounball. 50 yard accuracy was good. never did get a deer, but i still was able to hunt. boy do i miss that gun and i miss my TC Black Diamond

horday

horday makes a around ball and sabot combo with 75 gr of triple 7 fff 2 inch groups out of a cheap cva

Back