Testing Sabotloader's 700ML Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnhagies

Reaction score
Mike asked if I wanted to test out his new conversion and of course I jumped at the opportunity as we had already been talking back and forth about the project and I had been watching the results closely. It came in the mail yesterday so while the wife was at her bible study I decided to do a quick test.

I wanted something to accurately compare the blowback of both conversions so I decided to make a ?weather shroud? out of printer paper to catch all the dirt. It worked pretty well.

Test1.jpg

The first thing I did was test to see how the primers fit. Unfortunately, I only had 3 different types of primers left to compare.

The Winchesters fit perfectly in my opinion. I was able to get a piece of paper between the primer and the bolt face but that was it. The STS which is what I have been using most in the 700ML lately I started shooting BH in it did not fit quite as tight but still very acceptable.

Test2.jpg

I started out shooting one primer with each brand using the Cabela?s conversion. It was about what I have come to expect from this conversion. Dirty and a good bit of blowback. In fact 3 times the paper shroud turned to confetti.

Test3.jpg

So then I cleaned up the nipple and breech, switched out the bolts and ran the same sequence through Sabotloader?s conversion.

Test4.jpg

Clearly A LOT cleaner. I unrolled the paper for a better understanding. You can see the strips numbered for each shot. Oddly enough, they became cleaner the more I shot. I can only assume this was from the buildup in the gaps which sealed them off.

Test5.jpg

Additionally, the sound was also different. With the Cabela?s version it was a crack like a .22. However, with the new conversion it was more of a sound like the old tater guns we used to make out of pvc. This clearly tells me the energy and heat from the primer is being directed down the barrel as opposed to back out the breach area.

Lastly I put in a clean shroud and fired 5 Kleanbores one right after the other. Couldn?t ask for much more than that.

IMG_1906W.jpg

I had brought my primer remover with me however; I never had to use it. All the primers came out by just popping them out with a fingernail. The primers were struck very solidly and remained perfectly intact.Saturday I will be headed to the range to see how it performs with several different loads. I?ll let you know how it shoots. Right now, I'm quite impressed.

Great report
the sabotloader conversion is so much cleaner
the STS look very clean
thanks for posting that

Great review

Im very impressed with the results and the method of testing was very resourceful.

Blowby was the only reason i never bought one when they had the major sales. Now i wished i had one in the closet ready for a good conversion.

Beautiful gun too btw.

Scott

Rem. 700

Boy......one of these in 45 would be sweet to have in the closet.

if 1 in the closet is sweet then 2 must be sweeet then {1 is still nib}8) 8) got my pair 4 $250 cnd {each] i hav'nt shot it much too bush shootin my whites :wink:

Latest posts

Back