25acp or variflame

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superglide

Reaction score
I have only been shooting ML a couple of months now and was wondering which primer setup you guys would reccomend.the variflame or 25acp bp.I shoot a tc omega 50 t7 loose 100 grains.I do get crud rings and an occassional flier.would any of these help my situation.thanks for your help guys.
Nick

Superglide

I have both options and I really do prefer the 25 ACP system, It is much cleaner.

I do get crud rings and an occassional flier.would any of these help my situation.thanks for your help guys.

Either or both might help you 'crud ring' problem but it is a toss up. In my case I believe a lot of the 'crud ring' problems are a result of the heat of the combustion and reaction with what might be in your barrel. I have switched to synthetic oils and it seems to have help me a bunch. I use Montana X-trem Bore Conditioner or Slip 2000 - they are expensive but they really go a long ways.

Primers

I shoot an Omega as well and have the Vari Flame adaptor which works very well. Check my post from yesterday "SR primers" you may find it interesting. If I were doing it again,I would go the 25ACP breech plug. The ACP cases are alot easier to handle than the primer cup (Vari Flame) adaptors. Using T7 you will practicly eliminate that darn crud ring.You will see a major improvement in accuracy as well.

Im going to start using more T7 too.

Thank for the advice. My issues could have been from not having the bore totally clean of solvents or oils. I was using RemOil but i am not using it anymore in the barrel.

It may have been a big part of my problem but i do use Rem STS primers and not the lower power options.

dont use any lube in my barrel in the Accura and get a bad crud ring with pyrodex. can only imagine how bad t7 would be!! its the 209 primers, to hot.

Thanks for the advice guys.i clean gun with tc 17 then bore butter when I get home.then I clean lube from barrel with the tc17 then dry patches when I get back to range, is this procedure ok? where can I get the 25acp bp conversion?

that bore butter will EASILY cause a crud ring. I tried it out some time ago and bingo, my crud ring came back to haunt me. Terrible stuff for bore protection.

frontier gander said:
dont use any lube in my barrel in the Accura and get a bad crud ring with pyrodex. can only imagine how bad t7 would be!! its the 209 primers, to hot.

I tried the Rem KleanBore ML primers and those were not any better either. Using Pryo i use a thin dry fiber then a semi damp lubed felt wad. The crud is still there but MUCH softer. I used this same method before with T7 with only a slight improvement.

I always had to spit patch after each shot then a dry patch. I guess i will just have to get used to that unless my modded plug and stemmed liner helps a lot.

I just dont like the insane cost of ML primers but thats a "me thing".

i waved goodbye to the crud ring when i switched to APP. Still use the hot primers though with no problems.

which reminds me, i need to pick some more up. Shot 200 primers, half of that being in 2 1/2 days of shooting :lol:

I use plain old Win209 or whatever non mag primer is in the box with JSG 3FG and no problems with residue.

I do keep it double sealed and silicon packets in each container. No moisture issues YET using this method. I get lots of those packet every day since im in the PC hardware field.

Urban_Redneck said:
Have you tried Blackhorn 209? No breech plug mods required and way cleaner than 777.

More than likely true in the Omega but sometimes BH209 is harder to find locally. T7 is still a good powder for many peoples needs.

I prefer BH209 myself but it is harder to ignite.

By buying by the case from Powder Valley i end up paying the same price per can as T7 sells for locally. And since I am one of the group who would rather be shooting than cleaning every shot I consider it much better. Lee

If you research all the various options availible to you and own a modern inline rifle, the answer to your questions is BH209..when my 777 loose is used up,that will be the powder i use..i am totally sold on it through research and many people i know that use it..

I have shot Omegas for 8 years and Blackhorn209 for almost two years. Blackhorn209 is the way to go. With "regular" Winchester 209 primers and a factory Omega breech plug I have had no ignition issues or problems even on some very cold deer hunts. And clean up is easy--just use Hoppes #9.

777 shot very well for me and was utterly reliable with regular primers. I tried the 25ACP conversion and saw no improvement in accuracy and went back to primers. I always had a crud ring with 777 and just got used to running a damp patch down the barrel after each shot. I liked 777 and killed some big deer with it, but after I saw how well BH209 shoots and "behaves," I threw out my last 1/2 pound of 777.

Superglide said:
Thanks for the advice guys.i clean gun with tc 17 then bore butter when I get home.then I clean lube from barrel with the tc17 then dry patches when I get back to range, is this procedure ok? where can I get the 25acp bp conversion?

In your reply you say you clean the gun with T17, are you talking about the milky white liquid or T17 patches?....

If you are using T17 patches that is a natural lube and cleaner - there fore you would not need bore butter.

Bore butter will NOT cause the 'T7 crud ring.' I and several others have been using it for years and I personally do not get any 'crud ring' of signifcance... Several years ago I switched to just using T17 patches - no bore butter any more.

There are some hazards associated with the use of BB unless you are really using it correctly. It can cake up and cause a loss of accuracy over time. It is easily removed with a boiling water bath. BB is totally water soluable and contains no petroleum.

Personally i would suggest you switch to regular blue Windex and a quality synthetic bore oil like Montana X-treme of Slip 2000. It is my opinion that the 'crud ring' is a result of the combustion and heat of the powder with what ever chemicals might be in the bore.

If you can find it locally and if you can afford to shoot BH and you have a gun that is quaified to shoot that is certainly the easiest thing to shoot. Then you clean the gun just like it was a centerfire rifle.

I really like the .25 acp conversion that i have in my encore and my sons Omega . :D They want 38.00 for the 10 oz tub of BH209 up here ,( NOT going to happen ) i will stick with 777 at 24.00 for 16 oz and my .25 acp conversion . Its a win win for me !!

thank you sabotloader,i have been using tc17 liquid its a baby blue color,i saturated some patches with it not wet but damp.i will try the windex tomorrow.just spray on patch clean then use a dry one?thanks for all the help will the windex remove the borebutter?

Superglide

i have been using tc17 liquid its a baby blue color,i saturated some patches with it not wet but damp.i will try the windex tomorrow.just spray on patch clean then use a dry one?

What i do is make some premade windex patches. The patches that go to the range are just barely damp as you suggest. The ones that I use at home for cleaning are wet...

This picture might give you and idea how i make my windex patches....

WinPatch.jpg

i have been using tc17 liquid its a baby blue color,i saturated some patches

Yep! I forgot the color.... but i would still sub the windex for patching and for the initial cleaning.

The best way to get your bore clear of BB is to rinse it in boiling water... but unless you have done this and know what to expect... I would say just cheat the system for now and use a good liquid bore cleaner. Scrubbing the bore with a good liquid degreaser soap will also get the BB, but you might have to do it a couple of times.

What kind of maetal do you have stainless steel or blued?

Be sure and oil the barrel after you have cleaned it.

Latest posts

Back