Maryland’s Primitive Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scored on a deer this morning during Maryland’s 2nd annual three day primitive season. Sidelocks, recurves and longbows only. Heard the deer crunching through the crusty snow behind me at about 7:10 AM. Mountain was covered with intermittent fog all morning long. The deer ended up broadside to me at about 40 yds. After the shot while waiting for the smoke and fog to clear, a tom bird perched about 60 yds away sounded off with a gobble at the sound of my Renegades loud boom. The deer layed in the tracks of where it stood when I squeezed the trigger.
Upon approaching the deer I realized it was not the tall doe I thought it was. Rather it was a young buck who had recently dropped it’s horns. Most likely a spike looking at the circumference of the pedicles.
Either way I was happy. Happy I was finally able to get a chance to hunt in Marylands primitive season and happy I scored.
Sidelock hunting in the snow. Life is good.Even in February.
74541C70-FAC0-4FA7-B58A-2F5EBF038477.jpegB6654AB2-EAA1-4C0F-8971-B1D6F762233B.jpeg

Outstanding. Good looking deer. Should put a lot of meat in the freezer. It's been several years since we got to hunt in the snow on our Holiday (antlerless) season here. Don't get any better than that. Congratulations to both of you.
Mike

If you don't mind my asking, where in Maryland did you take it?
The snow would indicate Garrett County.

p.s. I just saw it was February of last year. I thought it was this week,.
Yes, it was February of last year. FWIW, we were hunting in western Frederick County on the east slope of South Mt..

Yes, it was February of last year. FWIW, we were hunting in western Frederick County on the east slope of South Mt..
I know the areas. That's a long stretch. Myersville to Knoxville. Unless, you are up North toward Cunningham Falls & a certain federal property.

Last edited:
Congrats-I love hunting in those conditions (minus the fog). Our season here in IL ends this weekend and weather is looking "decent", no snow though, and temps in the 30's. Would like it to be much colder with a few inches of snow on the ground.

Latest posts

Back