Saxmans .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Saxman let me borrow his .45 cva kodiak. While its hear i said i'd document the range results with BH209 and the 275-223 and 300gr powerbelts.

100 yards today with the Modded Breech plug.

275gr Powerbelt - 70gr BH209 - CCI 209M - 3 1/2" group
275gr Powerbelt - 80gr BH209 - CCI 209M - 3 1/2" group
275gr Powerbelt - 90gr BH209 - CCI 209M - 1 1/2" group.

The modded plug seems to have a lot more blow back than the original plug so i am going to reload and clean the rifle for a new test tomorrow. Once i figure out which plug shoots the tightest groups, i'll move on to the next bullet and retest all over again.

Now its time to try the Optima Again but with the 245gr Powerbelts. It really likes the 338 Platinums!

Thats odd.

I have 3 modded CVA type plugs and all of them are cleaner than the oem plug. Win209s are by far the cleanest and ignite BH209 just fine. CCI209Ms leave more primer fouling in the flash channel than any ive tried too.

Actually my WinApex AKA CVA Kodiak with a modded and head spaced breach plug is nearly spotless with most primers. Win209s look new except the dent in the primer. :huh?:

Thanks for the testing
I was deep into spring turkey and didn't want to be shooting while the other members are trying to hunt
unfortunatly I write this from a hospital bed
been here sinse Thursday.
Don't know how long this time

Back