Ok a silly question about volume

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldelkhunter

Reaction score
I just purchased a TC clear powder measure and a few cans of BH 209. This will be used in my Endeavor. I am starting out at 100 grains and will work up with a chrono + target to determine the best load. When accurate powders says by volume it means 100 grains on the clear TC powder measure?

You are correct. Black Powder and all it's substitute powders are designed to be measured by volume, not weight. SO yes, your TC measure works by volume so you are good to go.

Mark whiz said:
You are correct. Black Powder and all it's substitute powders are designed to be measured by volume, not weight. SO yes, your TC measure works by volume so you are good to go.

Then why do some people go to the trouble of weighing loads? Just curious...not sure if I need to be weighing mine or not. :?:

People weigh to get the last bit of consistency in the loads. BH209 does pretty dern well without weighing. That 100 grain volume of BH209 that oldelkhunter is going to use would weigh ~67 grains on a scale.

The scale leaves no excuses due to powder charge. :wink:

I weigh all of my loads of BH209. I use the scale: 100 gr by volume = 70 gr by weight. So there for my 110gr loads weigh weigh 77 gr. I'm not sure if makes a huge difference in my groups but it is one variable I don't have to worry about. Just trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it I can. Guess I'm a little anal.

Used to weigh my loads but found out that it was not worth the trouble. A .1" inch tighter group at 100 yards makes no difference in the deer and hog woods.

Hulions said:
I weigh all of my loads of BH209. I use the scale: 100 gr by volume = 70 gr by weight. So there for my 110gr loads weigh weigh 77 gr. I'm not sure if makes a huge difference in my groups but it is one variable I don't have to worry about. Just trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it I can. Guess I'm a little anal.[/quote]

Yup! Me to. But my measure's say that 100gVolume=72gWieght.

So the Ballpark standard seems to be from 67-72gWieght = 100gVolume, With most folks going with 70gWieght

The people at Western powder who designed it say it is made to the standard of 100gr volume = 70 gr weight
I E-Mailed back and forth with them when I got some to try.

Yea Lee, I think you were the one I got that from. Thanks again.

I shoot 95 grains of BH, yet tip the scales at 215 lbs. LOL Hope ya can appreciate a little humor?! I love this forum thanks guys.

It'll take more than 95gr to move that much weight to 100yds :shock:

It'll take more than 95gr to move that much weight to 100yds

Don't know about that Bernieg. If you put that 95 grains in the right place and light it off, I'd bet those 215 lb. really get moving. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back