Hornady 45 Cal. 250 Gr. HP/XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Just picked-up a 100 box of Hornady .452 45 CAL 250 GR Hollow Point/XTP's. Price $15/100 which is darn cheap compared to other bullets Ive been shootin. When it stops raining plan to shoot thru drop-in 1-28 28" Green Mountain Barrel i just mated to a TC. Checked my massive ML supply inventory & found that I already have a hundred or so short Black MMP sabots too! Pretty cheap shootin compared to some of those other Buck A Shoters! :lol:

Curious who here has any killing experience with this bullet out of their in-lines etc. (smoke or non-smokers)??

Thanks.

Curious who here has any killing experience with this bullet out of their in-lines etc. (smoke or non-smokers)??

I believe Grouse has really stacked 'em up with that bullet! I'm SURE there are MANY others!

Larry, that's been as good as any bullet i used in a ML on Game this year. The short mmp sabot and the Harvester worked great. :wink:

Check with Randy Wakeman, he was was very helpful when I asked him about the 300 gr XTP. I'm shooting 250's out of my elite with 90 gr T-T loose, grouping 1.5" or less at 100 yds.

Shot 'em, naturally, but don't hunt with them. But, I know a few people like Kevin Moore than hunt with nothing else, and have had the expected lethal results for years. :shock:

Loggy,I have shot several deer with the 250XTP out of my HB,killed every one of them.That was in the beginning. Now I prefer the 300XTPs.I like a bullet that will pass through,I only got that at relatively close ranges with the 250s.I have only recovered 3 300grners,out of approx. 15 head of deer.To me that is good.The ones I did recover were mangled jackets, as they traveled the entire length of the deer, striking bone.

R. Wakeman, if they shot good why did you not hunt with them? Do you have a bullet you prefer for hunting and another for plinking?

There are a lot of bullets that have more hunting accuracy than you need, so it is a matter of picking what an individual gun tells you it likes to be fed along with personal preferences. I happen to prefer 300 gr. bullets over lighter bullets, but that sure doesn't mean that a goodly portion of the 9 million deer killed every year aren't taken with lighter bullets. I'm sure they are, and the lighter muzzleloading projectiles outsell the heavier bullets from every manufacturer I'm familiar with.

Thanks much for all the replies!

Randy, I did read that Sr. Wakeman made a hell of a 225 yard shot with a Hornady 250 Grain .452 XTP on a NC Deer! Curious how was the penetration on that fine shot? Also, were most of those NC Boys usin the 250 or 300 XTP?

Thanks.

Loggy said:
Randy, I did read that Sr. Wakeman made a hell of a 225 yard shot with a Hornady 250 Grain .452 XTP on a NC Deer! Curious how was the penetration on that fine shot? Also, were most of those NC Boys usin the 250 or 300 XTP?

Thanks.

It blew right through Dad's doe at 225 yards.

More of the NC Mafia uses 300 gr. XTPs than 250s, it seems-- both are killers, though.

The XTP Mag's copper jacket wraps all the way to the end of the bullet and down into the "hollow" point. A regular XTP's jacket is left short of the hollow point with a softer lead end. The longer jacket on the XTP mag is supposed to help control expansion on higher velocity rounds...
JEV

Back