wind

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam208

Reaction score
Are deer season in IL start middle of nov and i only get to hunt 2 days work wise. need to start shooting a little

I got 2 bullets im going to try to see whats dose the best now i have wind were i hunt.

the first is a 240 gr xtp bullet with a black sabot

and the other is a nosler partition hg 260 gr with a .451 crush rib sabot

im shooting 90 gr of ffg 777

shots will be under 100 yards

so what im asking is could any body tell me anything about either bullet good are bad

my gun is a z5 omega

thanks sam

For under 100 yards I'll bet any bullet that shoots good will work, with good placement of course. I will be in IL myself for the gun season(& M-L season). I use 120 grns of B209 with a 250 grn Hornady SST. The SST is more streamlined than those XTP bullets. Did you ever run your load across a chronograph? I took 5 with 5 shots last year in IL. One thing I do is work on getting the 50 yrd shot & trying not to mess with those 150+ yrd shots. I'd like to think I can reach out there some but like to stay in the for sure range.

how do those sst bullet work what kinds of groups do you get????

thank sam

I use the 230,and 250 grain xtp's.Haven't got a chance to harvest anything but paper yet,but they are on the mark.Before these fancy pointy bullets came out most were using them anyways...from what I've been reading.They are cheap,and a lot of animals have been harvested with them.

thanks
i wish they would quit change bullet to so call make them better
what part of IL will you be hunting muskrat

sam

Neither bullet is bad. The accuracy of the bullets may make the decision for you. The nosler is certainly a superior projectile. The nosler is what I'll be shooting this season, granted my new rifle shoots them well.

No I'm not knocking the XTP's. In general I think many over do the bullet selection with deer, when placement is the key. I don't have the exact specifics but the SST's grouped very well in my Knight. I think every deer I shot with them last year was a pass-thru, usually of the double lung variety. Some reports say the SST is to sturdy with no mushroom, but working so far. I have also shot deer with home cast conicals & cast 44 cal handgun bullets in a sabot. I get 1950 fps with 120 grns of B209 & a 250 SST.

I will be in tiny Putnam county. I've got some type of deal with a buddy who has a lease. It's rather addictive & my usual hunting is in the U.P. of MI.

I agree with the above post. use the bullet that shoots the best, both are great deer thumpers. Midway USA has the Nosler bullets on sale right now. I think under $30 for the 260 gr.452 45 cal.

Both bullets are good, but if it were me, I'd go with the Nosler if it was accurate enough. Your shots are going to be under 100 yards so there's no need to use a "pointy" bullet, and both the XTP and especially the Noslers are known to perform very well on deer.

Hi Sam
I shot a Z5 Omega for a couple years, great gun! You could also try shooting a 44 cal 240 XTP .90 grains is a heavy ,but excellent load and your velocity should be about 1900 fps.I used to shoot 70 grains of 3f T7 and got 1750 fps out of my Z5 and groups under 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards were boringly common.I even got a sub incher at 200 yards with that load.I can assure you that the XTP , properly applied , is a death ray. As you're shooting a 45 cal. 240 XTP your charge is still good.The 45 cal 250 gr is a Magnum bullet and requires velocities of 1100-2100 fps to do its best.I shoot the 250 non-mag xtp in my Black Diamond XR over 70 gr of 3f Swiss black powder for 1540 fps.That bullet will expand from 800-1600 fps.The 44 cal 240 gr XTP will expand from 900-1800 fps.It says you are a junior member and that is a great thing to see.You and others like you are the future of our sport.You will find that muzzleleoaders are an extremely satisfying way to fill the freezer and they are about the most versatile firearms out there.properly loaded, I believe they are the most practical squirrel to moose rifles out there.One thing I really enjoy about muzzleloaders is that whatever power level wish to use I can find a quality bullet matched to it.Hornady is kind enough to publish the velocity specs. for the entire XTP line.Makes it easy to get a great load! Best of luck!

For 10 years I have been using the 240 .430 XTP bullet on hogs and deer. So far this year I have killed about 15 hogs with that bullet, most were bang flops. Put that bullet in the right place and it will do a good job for you.

I shoot a 300 grain Xtp for deer and a 300 grain xtp Mag for Elk . I dropped a mule deer buck two days ago at round 150 yards + or - . I hid the buck in the left shoulder and the xtp exited out the right shoulder . Sucker dropped like a ton of bricks . I have take two mule deer and my son and a friend have taken two ELK with the 300 grain XtP Mags . I understand the Gold dots do very well . I sure like the looks of Barnes TMZ and the speer Gold dots and nosler partition too . I would see which shoots the tightest groups and go with that . I like the price of the XTP' s and SO FAR have been the most accurate in my Encore . :D

good job on your deer a few days agos

i sure like the price of the xtps to

sam208

I have not tried the xtp's in my new Prohunter. I ordered a box of (.430) 240 gr. and 100 Harvester crush ribs on the Oct. 1, and can not wait to try them out. My Prohunter will shoot 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yds. with the Barnes 250 gr. MZ in a MMP HPH-24 pushed by 110 gr. of BH 209. I just need to find something a little cheaper to punch paper with because the Barnes get a little bit expensive just shoot'n. :)

Pro Hunter

That Pro Hunter is a shooter. I have been shooting the 200 grain xtp/mags over 11o grains BH209. I use the 40 caliber crush rib. I am going to try a 300 grain 50/45 xtp/mag this year. I really like those 200 grain pistol bullets for the yotes and small game, but i did kill a 200 + pound buck with them.

well i went and done some shooting to day and my best group came from the nolser .451 260 gr partiton hg bullet with a black crush rib sabot i was shooting a 90gr 777 ffg

could only shoot 50 yards it sitting about 3inch high rite above the dot. most shot will be less that 100 yards so i should be good shape i hope.

thank sam

Back