Excessive blowback in Black Diamond XR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I expected some , but I believe the 3 LARGE vents on the flame thrower nipple allows too much blow back.Does anyone make a single vent nipple for these rifles that is as long as the issue? A standard 1/4-28 fits but it leaves that long threaded channel which isn't good.I think that a smaller single aperture nipple would work fine and minimize back blast. All thoughts/ ideas appreciated as always. She's a very fine rifle , just a dirty girl...

I was experimenting last week with the TC flame thrower #11 nipple in my MK-85 and did not notice any more blowback than the red hot #11 nipple I normally use. I will pay a little more attention next time I have that combination out on the range.

I noticed the same thing with my XR .45. But, with BH209, the gun shot its best groups ever.

Hopefully, someone might make a better 209 primer holder for these guns.

Its one of the fall backs of the Black Diamond. Mine does the same thing. Put a bikini cover on the scope and just let the rifle make a mess. I then clean it all up. The rifle shoots too good to discard for that reason.

cayuga said:
Its one of the fall backs of the Black Diamond. Mine does the same thing. Put a bikini cover on the scope and just let the rifle make a mess. I then clean it all up. The rifle shoots too good to discard for that reason.

True... True...

unscoped

She isn't scoped, but she is a messy messy girl.She is , however, superbly accurate and definately NOT going anywhere. She apparently likes the 200 gr .44 cal Hornady XTP in a Harvester Crush Rib over 50 gr of 3f T7 lit with CCI musket caps. She gives 1 to 1 3/4 inch groups at 100 for 3 rounds. Haven't chrono'd it yet but I'm guessing 1550-1600 fps range.

Latest posts

Back