mk-95 Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsoden

Reaction score
Bought a used MK-95 with the posi-fire ignition and it is missing the bolt retaining spring plunger(part #Z in manual). If you have one of these rifles, could you post a picture of the part. If you have an extra one you could spare, PM me.

Knight rifles no longer sells guns but they still sell parts. You might want to give them a call and see if they have that part (641-856-2626).

pjsoden,

You have bought one fine rifle in my opinon. I have been trying to get a Backup MK95 for a long time. They VERY rarely come up for sale. I am not sure but I think I may be the only one on the board that has one. I love it. Can I ask where you got it and what caliber it is? They were made in 50 and 54 calibers. I missed one on Gunbroker about 2 years ago and I think the same one came up on Gunbroker a couple weeks ago but I was on vacation and could not bid on it, so I missed it.

Anyway, Here is a pic of the part you are looking for. IF Knight comes up with one let me know. I would like a spare myself. I have thought of getting a spare kit. There were a few available on line a while back.

2009_12180001.jpg

ShawnT

Shawn,
It's a stainless .54 cal and I bought it off of gunbroker 2 weeks ago! Thanks for going on vacation.LOL I was the only person who bid on it.Thanks for the picture.

pjsoden,

You lucky dog! :yeah: I did not want to get in a pickle over asking them to wait till I got back from hunting out of state. So I was hoping it would go back up again when I got back. I am pretty sure that is one I got out bid on about 2 years ago, I remember the first seller had all of those old Speer Sabot packs with it. The guy you got it from pinched it at the last minute on me. :evil: They are a little more work when it comes to cleaning. Enjoy it, I love mine and would never part with it. I would love to get one in 54, then I have a matching set. :wink:

How was the bore on it? I saw all the crap that guy was spewing about paper patching the bullets and throwing away the sabots. He made 3 inch groups sound like it was a one holer. I will tell you that the stock on them requires a very firm grip. If you hold it too loose it will throw shots all over the place. Grab hold of that stock real firm and pull it down into the bags and it will shoot better that 3" is my bet. It is a dream to carry in the woods too! Be sure to let us know how it shoots when you get it set up.

Again I hope you enjoy it. BUT if you don't let me know, I see you are just over the river somewhere from me! :wink:

ShawnT

ShawnT

ShawnT,
Yea, that's the gun. The bore is in great shape. The rest of the gun had a residue from the bullet lube he uses on the paper patching. I just know this gun is going to love a 325 grn barnes MZ in a purple sabot. After I get all the parts in and get to the range, I'll post how it shoots. Pete

Pete,

Did Knight get back to you about the Spring loaded detent yet? I know I got the last stock they had for them. I should call and see if I can get another breech plug. Was that Rifle not complete when you got it???

That Weight bullet would be my first choice too. I would be surprised if those Speer bullets would not shoot in it. That Barnes would really be a Hammer I'm sure. Mine loves the old Knight 310 grain Lead Bullet/Sabot. Not sure what I will shoot when I can't get them. My 95 always showed a preference for the heavier bullets.

ShawnT

It was missing the ramrod guide and screws and the detent spring. I knew about the guide from the pics. I also ordered a breech plug. They had to keep looking in the back and they finally said the found one. There weren't many reps who knew a whole lot about the 95. I also picked up a Knight Grizzly PLB last week that was in near mint condition. It was my lucky week.Pete

I never noticed the missing thimble. I can't belive the guy took that stuff off. I think I might give them a call and see about one of the detents anda another spare breech plug too.

What is a Grizzly PLB? I have not heard of that one.

ShawnT

Hey Pete,

Since Knight is what it currently is, and the fact that the MK95 was discontinued in 1997 (I think that is right, I got mine in 1998 and knew from talking to Knight it had been discontinued then for the Disc rifle), I have often thought about what I would do if I could not get the detent if it got lost. So after your post I did a little on-line snooping, and took mine out again to check the size. They are #10X32 thread size. I think this would work as a good substitute and I would get the one with the Thread lock in it too but they have it with and without. It might be little long but I still think it would work ok. I think next time I order from them I will get a couple to try.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3408a35/=500qw1

ShawnT

Shawn,
Great find! I think that will work great if they can't find me one. The Grizzly is a 50 cal. that was designed to shoot conicals. It has a 1:32 twist barrel that has a false muzzle and it has a ported muzzle brake. I have it cleaned up and ready to go, but since we are in the middle of a blizzard right now, I can't go to the range today like I had planned to do.

Hey Pete,

Did Knight ever find you a spring detent for the MK95? Just curious.

ShawnT

Shawn,
I got the breech plug today. I should get the detent spring tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you Know. Pete

Shawn, I got the detent on Thursday. Took her out to the range on Sunday but didn't get to work up any loads because it was so crowded. Just put in 90 grns of select and worked on getting the scope on paper. Without any tinkering she shoots right at 2" at a 100 yds. I know with some tinkering she'll do better. Pete

Back