Rossi .50 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslman

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post so please be easy on me. :D
I have a Rossi .50 cal muzzleloader inline and was wondering if anyone else shoots one? This is my 3rd year for it and love the gun but am having accuracy problems with it. I've been shooting 240gr Hornady XTP with 100gr. of 777 pellets {2 pellets} and the shots are all over the place. I was wondering what others might be useing. I have some 300gr. Lightfield sabots that I have shot with 110gr. of BH209 and it seems to be better but still can't group under a 4-5" circle. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

dslman

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a rifle like yours. What I would do is get a set of 250 grain Shockwaves and some loose pyrodex RS powder. Try 80 grains of one of them Shockwaves. It might be that your rifle does not like the current projectile. Most rifles shoot shockwaves well.

My Accura shoots .45 XTP's into almost one ragged hole but the .44 XTP's shoot into a 2" group.

I have a .45 witht he same issues, Im going to be doing some work to it soon so I can gift it to a young new hunter in my life.

Not familiar with Rossi muzzleloader but at what distance are you getting 4 to 5 inch groups? Is gun scoped or are you using iron sights?

First I would back off on the powder a little. Those are pretty heavy loads for accuracy. That rifle should do a lot better than that. I suspect you either have a load that the rifle does not like (probably too stiff a load) or the scope mount is bad, or the scope is bad, or the stock to barrel fit is not correct (Check the fore arm for any misfit or non solid lock up when tightened up). That rifle is pretty light and in my case I would not be able to shoot it accurately with that much recoil.

i might be able to help you ..i had a ROSSI and hunted with it for 3 years . also it took me a while on the range to find a good load and bullet combo ...[1] the rossi needs a tight bullet sabot down its barrel ,if it loads too easy accuracy will be horrible ..
[2] my barrel liked the HORNADY 250GR.sst ..with the black sabot .. [3] for powder i used 2 triple 7 pellets
[4] primer 209 i used them all and it made little to no differance so use the primer of your choice ,,
[5] the barrel has to be clean and dry for accuracy no bore butter. at 100yds i was able to put most of my bullets into a 3" circle if i did my part .

one final word get the tightest bullet and sabot combo ..pic. below is a succesful deer hunt with my ROSSI ..

If accuracy was good, but has deteriorated, I would suspect the scope or mounts. I had one that would shoot one holers at 50 with 240 or 300gr xtps, over 100gr. loose 777. The problem I eventually had (after about 5 years) was the trigger/hammer group basically getting so dirty from blowback, it wore out. The thing shot good, just wasn't very well made.

This is the first season with this scope and have been working on getting it sighted in. I'm thinking black powder is on to something with the tight sabots. I know the ones I've been shooting slide down the barrel relatively easy, even after multiple shots. I'm also thinking of backing down on my Black Horn to 100grs. instead of 110. Atleast for now to get a better feel of what combination might work best. Then see if it will handle 110grs.
Thank you to all that have posted.

If they don't give much resistance and you can load shot after shot using T7, your bullet/sabot is to loose and that is whats causing your inaccuracy

Back