Oppertunity knocks.............Twice!!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
Got everything ready last night for the morning hunt.
I signed in at 4:40am and was in the blind by 5:00
I carried the 45 cal Kodiak with 90 BH 209 / 200 grn Shockwave / CCI M primer

It was chilly this morning, 46 degres with a 15 - 20 mph wind.
Around 8:15 I saw a dark figure at 150 yards.
I put the barrel in the rest and cranked the scope up to 9x
It was a mature doe but she was facing me so I just watched and waited for her to move closer and change body position.I kept seeing movement to my right in the scope but couldn't make anything out through the vines,I'm thinking,maybe she has a yearling with her,just then one pop's it's head up to momma's left,so whats that to the right? I just keep waiting and watching.
About ten minutes later the movement on the right becomes a deer,a buck,he's got a weired rack,I mean this guy is messed up.
He is at about 140 yards and almost broadside,I put the crosshairs on a high shoulder and fire.
When the smoke cleared all three deer are looking at the blind like W.T.F.?
and I can't believe there are still three deer there.
The doe moves the trio off but they don't seem spooked.
I reload and sit back down hoping they will come back.After a half hour I get out and start walking to where the deer were to see if I had made a hit.
I get 25 yards from my blind and out steps mister freak nasty,AGAIN!!!!
He is at a little over 100 yards so I took a knee,aimed and fired,there he stands,AGAIN!!!!! he walks off the same way he came.
I reload and start looking around.No blood anywhere,I could see where the bulletts had gone through some palmettos again.
I went to sign out and decided to shoot at 100 yards.I hit dead on and 1/2" right.I had 4 more shots with me so I am now 3" high at 100 yards.The group I shot was fair but all were kill shots.

All I can think is,I MISSED!!!.......TWICE!!!!!!.......AT THE SAME DEER!!!!!!!

I am not taking it to bad.I got to see 3 deer today,I got to burn some powder and sling some bullets,I took a SWEET nap and I learned several valuble lessons.

Never again will I sight my gun @ 5o yards and not shoot it at 100 before I hunt.

Never again will I switch primers without range testing them first (I switched from the Fed-A to the CCI-M due to 2 hang fires with the FED)

I WILL be more paitent and let the deer move as close as they are going to.

I WILL keep praticing my shooting trying to get better.

Don't know wether to switch to the 270 or stick with the Muzzy.
I feel like I need to get back up on the horse,soon

That's why its called hunting and not killing. Better luck next time.

Oh yes, another lesson,don't get cocky.
While I was getting ready to shoot the first shot I thought to myself,let's see how this bullet does on a high shoulder hit.

I learned not to cook my backstraps before they are planted on the ground.

I have done the same thing only to find out the deer were much further than I had thought. Now I have a rangefinder and I range things for reference as soon as I get set in my blind.

Keep at it, you will get him.

saxman1 said:
While I was getting ready to shoot the first shot I thought to myself,let's see how this bullet does on a high shoulder hit.

Wouldnt take a high shoulder shot with the shockwave, the bullet wont hold up very well at all

Great story

Saxman:

That was agreat story. Sorry it did not work better for you. Maybe tomorrow.

The part I liked the best is when you said it was chilly this morning at 46 degrees. Come on up to Vermont and hunt then you will know what chilly is. LOL Right now it is 3 degrees out side.

story

Scott,

Good story there bud, at least you didn't injure one of em without a recovery.
That happened to me 3 years ago with a shockwave due to NO exit at a 40 yd shot using 110 gr 777 loose powder???? WTF!!
Found the deer the next day while lookin for another one. Made me sick!!!
I did my job but the bullet didn't.
The brush we hunt is sooo thick that you absolutely need a good exit hole with blood to recover a deer.
Since then I've switched to Horn. XTP's & no problems.
Good luck next time.

Mark

motoman3b said:
Wouldnt take a high shoulder shot with the shockwave, the bullet wont hold up very well at all

I'll call BS on that one. That's how I kill em all given the opportunity for that shot. I've killed a bunch that way, they go nowhere but down. I had one go 20 yards cause she slid downhill. Killed three in one field in one morning, none of em got out of their tracks. Every shot has been a pass through.

I think anyone that has hunted has missed (well most of us anyway). Welcome to the club.

Critter said:
motoman3b said:

I'll call BS on that one. That's how I kill em all given the opportunity for that shot. I've killed a bunch that way, they go nowhere but down. I had one go 20 yards cause she slid downhill. Killed three in one field in one morning, none of em got out of their tracks. Every shot has been a pass through.

and you were using a 200 grain shockwave bullet?

Yes, I use the 200/50 and my partner uses the 250/50. We counted it up the other morning and in the last few years 27 deer have died to our shockwaves, most of them have been with the high shoulder shot. I'm hoping to add a few more to that count before the year is over.

motoman3b said:
saxman1 said:

??????????????what? :shock:

Chocdog

Back