help needed for start up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claycrusher

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 muzzleloaders. One omega and one bone collector for my son and I to hunt with this year.
Looking for a little load help for a starting point. Shots will be a max of 100 yards. I have been given some american standard powder sticks not sure what the feeling is on thiks product.
How about bullet selection here alot on Barnes and Hornady.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

My Omega shoots the Barnes spitfire's really well and the Hornady sst with 777. Good luck

claycrusher
That's APP?
If so it has less energy than any other powder we use, Swiss black is much more potent. It can give very good accuracy but hygroscopic and attracts moisture; when it has a bit of moisture content it becomes erratic as far as accuracy is concerned.
The other powders available:
Pyrodex the old stand by, accurate reliable, a bit dirty but its soft dirt, Swab every 3 to 5 shots. Low priced
777, accurate, not as sensitive to moisture, harder to ignite, creates the dreaded crudring, swab every shot if you get the crudring you get it every shot and its difficult to get it out. Higher priced as much as Blackhorn in some areas.
Blackhorn 209, Very accurate, higher velocity with lower pressure than 777 shoot all day and clean when you get home [no swabbing most accurate with out] expensive and hard to fined in some areas. I buy it by the case from Powder Valley on the Internet, which reduces my cost to about what 777 costs. There are a few others which are so hard to fined that I pass on them. Lee

Ok we go with the blackhorn 209 powder and winchester 209 primer what bullet would be a good start. This is going to be for whitetails in Wisconsin. As I said the max range we can shoot is going to be 100 yards.
I have been reading about the shockwaves and barnes.

I wouldn't use those sticks if they were free. I'd get B209, 777 loose would be my next, then Pyrodex. For sabots you can't go wrong with Hornady SSTs, the T/C Shockwaves are the same. I use the 250 grn ones. I use 115 grns for hunting of the B209, 100-120 is right in there.

All this said, shot placement is key.

I would use a hotter primer than the W-209
Like a CCIM or FED 209A
I had a hangfire with a W 209,don't know if that was it but i switched anyway.

I would use bh209, your choice of regular primer (not the ones made for 777), and a 250 gr shockwave or xtp. Start with 80 gr (by volume) of powder and work up in 5 gr jumps. I have always found 90 gr to work well with my TC guns, and be good to well over 150 yards, so it should cover you on the range issue. In my Omega, I use a 250 gr sw and 90 gr of BH209 and have one ragged hole groups at my home range (50 yards).

SWEET !!

Your boys got a good dad !! How old is he ??
The most fun i have ever had was when i watched my son shoot this Elk . I watched as he and the the elk got closer and closer . I was watching them fro another hill top through a spotting scope . I was so excited i was in tears . :D That was the very first animal he had ever taken . I have been hunting Elk for 4 years now and have yet to get one and he get one on his very first hunt . :D :D

codyelk12.jpg

My son is seventeen. We have been very lucky over the years with his deer hunting with the rifle. He has killed several deer mostly bucks and a few does. I did some muzzleloader hunting back some years and then never had the time to continue with it but this year we are going to go at it hard as long as we have tags available.
Very nice picture of your son and congrats to the both of you.

BH209 and Shock Waves try the sabot they come with and try the Short Black Harvester Use regular reloading 209 if you can get a hold of some different ones try them use the best fit or if you are where it gets real cold use CCIm or Federal. In a triumph or an Omega you should have no problem. Try 100 gr in the Omega and 110 and 120 in the Triumph. I have both guns and these are the loads mine likes to give you a starting point.
Lee

Thanks Lee that is where we will start.
Much appreciated.
Oh one last question 250 gr. in the shock wave?

Back