Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I have a bro in law who wants to buy a 308.

He's got $1400 to spend.

It will be used for long distance hunting and casual target shooting.

He leans toward substantial stocks....no tupperware

Should be a bolt gun, but open to semi's.

What would be your recommendation if you were spending his money?

Okay...
Pretty easy answer for me... I would go one of two ways... Either a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range(about $1300) OR a Remington 700P or PSS(about $900). I have a 700P and I LOVE it! The 700 XCR LRT is a little lighter and has a different stock BUT in no way do I think it would be more ACCURATE than the 700P. I say find a 700P then spend the extra on really nice mounts like Badger or Seekins and a Nightforce scope!

100_0326.JPG

This rifle WON'T shoot at ALL! :wink:

100_0328.JPG

100_0329.JPG

100_0330.JPG

Whichever one of the Remington 700's he likes. It still seems to be the most accurate production rifle, and it's still made here. JMO--have fun shopping.

i second big 6's recommendation ... i have the sendero .270, which is very similar to the PSS, only in .270. the remington is pretty much the standard by which everything else is judged. can't go wrong with it. i paid $700 for mine, NIB. leaves some $$ for good optics and rangs

most of the 700's i'm seeing now are the SPS's, which have a decent stock, but its more of the tuppeware variety. the sendero and the PSS have the upgraded HS precision (i think?) stock w/ aluminum bedding block, which is a step up and worth the extra $$.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What Chuck said... some sorry S.O.B. sold him that gun!

lol

if not a 700... then a Kimber Tactical.

Back