"Made in USA" older CVA .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
"Made in USA" older CVA .50

So, my father-in-law (FIL) was just given a CVA .50 hawken by his FIL.  Apparently he bought it as a kit, put it together, browned the barrel, and then it hung on the wall and it hasn't ever been shot.  This is pretty cool to me, as I've read that the older CVA's are pretty good shooters.
I haven't looked it over too close yet (didn't have my bore light with me or a jag & patch so I could run it down the barrel and see what it feels like in there), I do have some concern about rust if it wasn't protected with something while sitting for so long, but the outside looks good.  It has a double trigger and I noticed right away that the set trigger doesn't work.  So here are my questions:
1. The set trigger.  My first thought was either some wood wasn't removed when he built it and is creating a problem, or the lock screw is simply tightened down too much.  First things I'll check, but do any of you have any other thoughts/ideas about this?
2. Are these normally a 1:48 twist?
3. Shallow rifling like my TC Renegade that'll prefer a fairly thick patch?

Any other info anyone wants to share about an early CVA is welcome.  Thanks.

Re: "Made in USA" older CVA .50

My old CVA Mountain Rifle is 1-60 twist and likes thick .023 patching. It is a pretty good shooting rifle. Easy on the shoulder with prb and 80 grains equiv of Black MZ or 80 grains of GEOX 3f

I have one of the CVA 50 Mountain rifles made in USA I built it back in the early 70's they are 1-66 twist but mine does shoot Lee Real bullets just fine. With round ball I use at least a .020 patch any thinner you cant tell what your gonna hit .I have killed several Deer with mine several at over 100 yards cant do that now cant see good enough for much over 75 . 
cva_pa10.jpg

Renegadehunter said:
So, my father-in-law (FIL) was just given a CVA .50 hawken by his FIL.  Apparently he bought it as a kit, put it together, browned the barrel, and then it hung on the wall and it hasn't ever been shot.  This is pretty cool to me, as I've read that the older CVA's are pretty good shooters.
I haven't looked it over too close yet (didn't have my bore light with me or a jag & patch so I could run it down the barrel and see what it feels like in there), I do have some concern about rust if it wasn't protected with something while sitting for so long, but the outside looks good.  It has a double trigger and I noticed right away that the set trigger doesn't work.  So here are my questions:
1. The set trigger.  My first thought was either some wood wasn't removed when he built it and is creating a problem, or the lock screw is simply tightened down too much.  First things I'll check, but do any of you have any other thoughts/ideas about this?
2. Are these normally a 1:48 twist?
3. Shallow rifling like my TC Renegade that'll prefer a fairly thick patch?

Any other info anyone wants to share about an early CVA is welcome.  Thanks.
Made in USA would mean that it is a CVA Mountain rifle, 32" barrel, double wedge keys and most likely a Maple stock.

Set triggers on these always seem to be out of adjustment as some folks prefer to use them as a single trigger set up. Easy to adjust once you learn what each screw does.

.50cal will have a 1:66 twist for this model. Patch thickness I'd easily suggest a .490 round ball and a .018 patch minimum.

Good info everyone, thanks.
I'm excited to hear it has a RB twist and will be sure to pick up some thicker patching.  My renegade takes .018" pillow, I'll try that but have some thicker on hand as well.

Didn't the USA made versions have Douglas barrels? Any markings on the barrel?

Mine is not a "mountain rifle" as it doesn't have two wedge keys. It is also a .54 FWIW. I got it from a friend that wasn't using it any more. Similar to your situation it was rusty in the barrel and the set trigger didn't work. I plugged the drum with a piece of rubber eraser and filled the barrel with vinegar overnight. Then I flushed and plunged it with the drum hole in hot water using a rod with a jag and patch. Next I ran 0000 steel wool on a patched jag in short strokes. I repeated the hot water flush and did the steel wool again this time soaked with WD40. The next flush was by pouring 91% alcohol about 1/3 of the barrel, covering the muzzle and shaking it and dumping.  Repeated a few times. After that I ran patches with WD40 and then dry repeating that until the orange was reduced to a light tint. At that point a increased the patch thickness to the most I could get to move in the barrel without getting stuck and I used those with WD40 and dry. This took more than an hour initially. After a few days I repeated the patches with WD40 and every few days after that until they just stopped coming out orange. Nothing scientific about my procedure, I admit I winged it … but it worked. For the trigger group:  I took it out, backed out all the screws and read on-line directions about how to use and set them. Once I figured out how it works I began to adjust a little at a time until they worked out of the rifle. When I installed them, they continued to work.  Hopefully you will experience that but as you said sometimes with a kit or a poor inletting you need to look at the wood. This turned out to be a great PRB shooter and a good hunting rifle as it is my shortest and lightest .54.  Best of luck to you!

I have a Brand New 1 in .45 Cal and love it! These Old CVA USA Stamped Mountain Rifles are VERY NICE, and Fairly Sought after. This thread reminds me, I need to get out and Shoot mine :Red tup:

Does your FIL’s have a 2 or 4 Screw Patch Box? Is the Thimbles Round, or Square?

“DISCLAIMER” I don’t know ANY of this for Fact, Just what i have Read.
   I have read conflicting stuff on the Douglas Barrel deal, Supposedly some of the Very first ones were made using Old Douglas Barrel equipment, But from my reading most were made overseas (Not assembled there) They were Shipped Here, assembled here, and Stamped USA

I will say that i have had my Hands on an Old CVA MR Barrel that Was Stamped “DOUGLAS” on the underside of the barrel. Jim Carpenter, the man that Built my Fast twist .36 Caliber Had one of these on his Bench. Mine doesn’t Say DOUGLAS on it. Mine is Old, it has the Square Pewter Thimbles, and 4 Screw Patch Box

Idaho mine is 4 screw patch box and square thimbles . Mine is stamped made in USA I never had any problems with set triggers got them adjusted back in the 70s then put a spot of red loctite on the screw and has stayed adjusted for over 40 years. I have always heard that the USA barrels were Douglas but never saw any marks on mine . My 58 Mountain is made in Spain its almost identical except the 58's dont have a patch box.

mark1945 said:
Idaho mine is 4 screw patch box and square thimbles . Mine is stamped made in USA I never had any problems with set triggers got them adjusted back in the 70s then put a spot of red loctite on the screw and has stayed adjusted for over 40 years. I have always heard that the USA barrels were Douglas but never saw any marks on mine . My 58 Mountain is made in Spain its almost identical except the 58's dont have a patch box.
Mark,  My .45 Cal CVA MR looks identical to the photo above of yours on the Jeep Hood.

I have heard a little about the .58s, But have never seen one myself? I know a DIE HARD TC Guy that told me he ALWAYS Wanted 1 of the Big Bore 58 MRs But never has found one at what he felt was a reasonable price. He just needs to Dig a little deeper in the Wallet :D

Idaho , I lucked into mine on a gun trader web site guy I got it from had stuck it in a closet for years had some surface rust but it cleaned up just fine bore is not too bad ,shoots good. He just wanted to get rid of it as he was moving asked me if 50.00 was too much and of course I took it. usually I have to overpay if its one I want.

While researching my CVA MR I came upon a thread that was about the mystic surrounding these rifles. One contributor was a former employee of CVA and said the only Douglas barrels used were in the development stage and that the rifles sold were not Douglas barrels. They were a quality barrel however and the CVA's are known to be good shooting rifles. I like mine after I replaced the factory defective trigger.

I can't answer the above questions without looking at it again, my FIL still has it.  He said I could grab it and check out the bore and see if I can get the set trigger working whenever I want to, just need to go grab it from him.  Probably be next week, this week and weekend are full.

The Mountain rifle was the pinnacle of CVA’s engineering.  There’s a seller on Gun Broker who claims that none were marked as such but I’ve seen a couple.  I believe they were made in the ‘90s.

I’ve heard from reliable sources that the “Made in USA” barrels were Douglas.  The rifling is 1-66 and .010” to .012” deep.  There’s a formula on the internet on how much powder to use based on cubic inches of bore.  I came up with 70 grains.  However, sparks of unburnt powder were flying out the muzzle so I backed it down to 60.  I’ve always liked 3F as it was touted as being cleaner burning.

I have a newer (completely made in Spain) 50 cal. Mountain rifle.  I use a .490 RB with Pillow Ticking (.017 to .018) and 60 grains of 2F BP (I figured a slower burning powder might be better in a longer barrel plus a lighter recoil).  Accuracy is phenomenal with tight groups.  On top of that, this is the best “balanced” rifle I’ve ever put to my shoulder!

Welcome to the forum BP Addict :Red tup:

I have 3 of the US made CVA Mountain Rifles.  One a kit I built in the late 70's has some 8-10,000 rounds through it.  One is a factory .50 that has never been fired that I am saving as a backup, and the third is a US kit in .45 I bought for my older son.  No trigger problems in the least.  I did have to shim out the triggers with a thin piece of cardboard on the first rifle because it was inlet too deep at the factory.  Shim has been there 40+ years and no trigger problems in all those rounds.  I use .490, 70gr 3f or 80gr 2f - same grouping-, .016 patch and a half dozen types of lubes work fine.  At the range, I use sloppy thick-greased patches of Wonder Lube and can shoot all day without cleaning.  Enjoy your CVA Mt. Rifle.  Best buy for the money back in the day, and mine still shoots better than my Lyman GPR  and a custom flinter that cost more than 10X more than any of the Mt. Rifles.  Enjoy!

CVA barrels use steel of infinitely better quality than did Douglas.

I am one of the two metallurgical expert witnesses at the lawsuit Douglas settled, agreeing (probably with their insurance company) to cease producing these barrels. The left-handed shooter had only the ring and little fingers, with associated palm bones, remaining on his right hand, which had been holding the forestock.

I formerly used Douglas barrels, from about 1961 until the 1980's when I saw how some of them could come apart. Haven't shot one since.

Coupla months ago bought myself a Traditions (same maker, different names now) full-stock percussion very s-l-o-w-l-y being restyled to be a Leman Indian trade rifle. Don't shoot much these days but I like the metallurgy - strength and toughness - of these Spanish barrels. Pedersoli use tough steel as well. 

October-November-December 1985 Muzzle Blasts were kind enough to print what I had to say about those barrels made from free-machining scxrew stock, no toughness at all if something goes wrong.

I'd like to see that traditions after you are finished!

FrontierGander - if longevity favors both of us, I'll post it here 

Old Geezer Eichholtz

Geezer........You put your address for your age.  :D

Back