Lyman Plains Pistol 54cal First Target shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Sat down with the Lyman Plains pistol .54cal today and first start with 40gr 2fg Gearhart-Owen black powder, .020" spit patch, .530 round ball. They loaded nicely without having to hammer them down the bore. Looks like I will need to tap the right over to the right a bit to center it. 40gr 2fg grouped ok, but then I lowered it to 30gr 2fg and it REALLY came together and shot very well. Next, I'll try 3fg and see how it does.
I also lapped the bore last night to smooth out any burrs that the lyman barrels are famously known to have.
Target was shot from 25 yards.

I like how you have finished the pistol ! Ive had the .50 cal since ?ehhhhhhhhhhhh
cant recall wheN I bought it, was living up in Montana then so well back before 97

Looking good. 👍🏼
I love mine I built both the Lyman GPR and Plains Pistol kits in same cal, 54.
Love ‘em!!!
Thanks for sharing your range practices

Stay healthy stay safe!

Good shooting. That is a great looking pistol. I had one in the 80's traded for and shot it some in primitive matches. It always did well for me. Those are good groups . You might get a little better group with 3F. I did in all of my pistols but you just have to try. You are right at the sweet spot I had with my pistol with the powder charge and ball/patch size. I looked at my pistol shooting notes on my black powder rigs and I ended up shooting 35 grn. of 3F and same ball/patch combo. Something I learned in the 80's shooting Bullseye matches from my Shooting coach, is on the position of that group, if you put a little more of the pad of your index/trigger finger most of the time it will bring your groups to the right. Don't know if you are placing just the tip of your finger on the trigger or not but when I first started that is one of the first lessons he gave me. It has something to do with how the pressure on the trigger using the tip of your finger pushing just slightly away from your grip. Moving your finger over the trigger more will bring it back ever so slightly. I have to remind myself sometimes to do this, especially on my Ruger Old Army with the trigger that has been modified with serration on it parallel with the trigger like some old Smith & Wessons. Also on most of the Glocks and other pistols with the safety in the trigger. I thing you are started down the right path.. Good luck. I had a CVA Mountain pistol I built from a kit in .50 that I used once on a deer hunt and took a doe with it from a ground blind. My Flinter and I had been setting in the blind for hours in a fog like condition and when I finally pulled the trigger I had a bad hang fire and shot over the deer. She just jumped and spun but didn't know where the noise came from and it gave me time to take the pistol off of my lap, and using a shooting stick I put one right where I needed at about 20 yards.
Good luck on your shooting
Mike

Sure wish they made that pistol in 54 Flint so I could make a mate for my GP Flintlock .I have my CVA Mountain rifle and pistol both in 50 Percussion and usually take them together on a hunt.

Here’s a question.
Would you ever consider taking a deer or something bigger (not bear- way too many bear gun threads in the internet lol) with the Plains Pistol?
Up here in Canada 🇨🇦. Hunting with a pistol is prohibited - just paper targets here at a certified gun range.

Short range of course. I only ask this question as I always have deer either walking under my treestand or pass by my ground blind and often ponder the what if.
I’ve had my .54 plains pistol since 2011 and it’s killed a fair share of paper targets just like Jonathan’s up there 👆
Cheers all,
Stay healthy stay safe!

Sure wish they made that pistol in 54 Flint so I could make a mate for my GP Flintlock .I have my CVA Mountain rifle and pistol both in 50 Percussion and usually take them together on a hunt.

If they made the flint version I'd have a pair of them. As it is I want to get the percussion kit in .54, finished just like FrontierGander's.

Ive had my CVA Mountain Pistol for years it does good on deer My son killed his first deer with it a 8 point buck . I have shot several deer with it I stuff 60 grains of 2ff in it and a round ball. Its good out to at least 45-50 yards never had any get up and run off yet.

max load is around 70 for them.
I have one in .54 and I am quite comfortable shooting it with 45 grains. Plenty of kick and muzzle rise for me. Hell, I use 70 grains in my rifle. I have taken 2 deer with the 45 grain load, and got complete pass thru on both with broadside shots behind the shoulder. Range was 35 yards for one, and about 45 for the other.

I found out the other day, my right hand isn't ready for 55 grains with the LGPP from having carpal release surgery it felt pretty stout. Even 30 grains is a bit too much still, as I found out this morning. :rolleyes:

I found out the other day, my right hand isn't ready for 55 grains with the LGPP from having carpal release surgery it felt pretty stout. Even 30 grains is a bit too much still, as I found out this morning. :rolleyes:
SW, take good care and don't mess up that surgery. Takes a while to heal.

Take care of those hands. I have some pain in both hands at the basal joint. From 25 years of Bullseye pistol shooting and Judo, getting my thumbs jammed or twisted around didn't help. One thing that aggravates my left thumb is when I get my longbows out and shoot them a lot. The handshock works them over after about 25 or so shots. I starting wearing those Copper Fit gloves for arthritis and they help, especially in cold weather while setting, waiting on deer.
It sucks sometimes when you go to pick up a glass of tea and can't hardly hold the glass. It's not funny but I tease my old buddy that was a Carpenter for about 50 years when he goes to have a beer. He had to pick up the bottle with both hands or leave it next to him on a table or something and use a straw to drink it. Not good but he takes the poking fun at him pretty good.
Good luck with your surgery.
Mike

Latest posts

Back