NULA is HERE W/Picture

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I placed an order yesterday for a 50 cal NULA, and it should be here in 6-8 weeks. WOO! HOO! I am excited!
thumbsup2.gif

Hmmmm! I just noticed that my "status" has changed, and I guess am no longer "banned".

6-8 weeks? That must be the shortest wait time I've heard. You won't be disappointed!

That's great! Mine should be here in a couple weeks too. Curious how the sights on the barrel went?

I just called Melvin yesterday and changed my rings to the 2 piece steel base and medium height screw lock detachable rings instead of the light weights. I've not heard favorable things about the LW's.

anyways, Mel said no problem.

Cooperfan said:
That's great! Mine should be here in a couple weeks too. Curious how the sights on the barrel went?

I just called Melvin yesterday and changed my rings to the 2 piece steel base and medium height screw lock detachable rings instead of the light weights. I've not heard favorable things about the LW's.

anyways, Mel said no problem.

I have used Talley ring/bases on my Marlin 336's for years with no problem, so I am going to stick with them on the NULA for now.

I was a little surprised that no one at NULA had ever heard of Recknagel sights, and rather than have to jump through hoops to explain what I wanted, I opted to take possession of the gun without sights and have Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms here in Texas install them if my Colorado hunt does ever materialize. Tip put a set on a couple of Blaser barrels for me and did a GREAT job (actually better than factories).

Cooperfan
What color did you get your stock painted?

retrieverman,

I'm not sure if this will be an issue or not for the hard sight installation, but the barrel contour at the muzzle end is very thin.
Trying to have a front sight installed by tapping that thin portion of the barrel might prove troublesome!

I couldn't imagine there being maybe a couple of threads catching and to tap a shallow hole would be tuff.

I believe that is the reason Melvin installs a slip-on/glued in place ramrod thimble. Is there a glue on or slip on front sight?

Congratulations on the NULA purchase, it is one finely crafted, accurate muzzleloader. :D

Thanks for the heads up!

The Blaser barrels that I had Recknagel sights installed on had barrel band front sights and look really cool, but I am not sure if they make a barrel band large enough for a ML barrel.

retrieverman said:
Cooperfan

I went with an outfitter camo pattern. Mel said he would get it close. The more I think about it, it's not that big of deal.

Cooperfan said:
retrieverman said:
Cooperfan

I went with an outfitter camo pattern. Mel said he would get it close. The more I think about it, it's not that big of deal.

I went with blaze orange with black spider webbing, and like you say, stock color really isn't that important.

My 4 year old daughter wanted me to get pink with black spider webbing, but I just can't see myself in kill photos holding a pink stocked gun. Call it vanity, I guess. :roll:

I am getting anxious to get my gun, and I called Mr Forbes today to check the status. The barreled action is ready, but they are still working my stock. I sure hope to get it in the next couple of weeks.

Re: NULA is ORDERED!!!

retrieverman said:
I placed an order yesterday for a 50 cal NULA, and it should be here in 6-8 weeks. WOO! HOO! I am excited!
thumbsup2.gif

So much for 6-8 weeks....Maybe he misspoke and meant 6-8 months.

Anyway, I spoke to Mr Forbes this morning and was told that my gun should go out on Monday. We'll see... :roll:

WOO! HOO! My NULA is FINALLY HERE!!!
1990.gif

...and it only took 4 months and 12 days. :roll:

My initial impression is that it is INCREDIBLE. I went out behind my house before I got rained out and shot 4 shots through it. I measured up 4 charges of 4759 and grabbed a few primers, and the only bullets I could dig up were some 10 year old 245 gr Powerbelts that haven't shot well in any muzzleloader I have ever owned. Since the gun is so light, I really didn't know what to expect on recoil, but I was pleasantly surprised. My other surprise was that the Powerbelts shot incredibly well at 50 yards, but I will have to do further "testing" to really trust them.

Overall, the NULA appears to be the best money I have ever spent on a muzzleloader.
thumbsup2.gif

:applause: :prayer: :applause:

Nice! I hope you have great luck with it. Keep us up to date on your load testing.

paia said:
Nice! I hope you have great luck with it. Keep us up to date on your load testing.

Well, I have only been able to shoot it at 50 yards so far, but the 245 gr Powerbelt with 44 grs SR4759 load appears to be a winner for my gun. The best I have done is a 3 shot group that clover leafed, and I shot 2 shots that over lapped to form one big hole (but keep in mind this is only at 50 yards).

I shot it another 8 times today, and the lack of recoil is amazing for such a lightweight gun.
thumbsup2.gif

Latest posts

Back