Savage 10ML in 45 caliber ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6pt-sika

Reaction score
I got a Savage 10ML last season and am very impressed with it !

In earlier years however I used a pair of Knight Disc Rifles in 45 and 50 calibers with excellent results . And I still own them both I might add !

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had a Savage 10ML rebarreled to 45 caliber or if the company has had thoughts of doing so ?

Yes I have a double d pac nor barrel in 45 caliber on a bedded laminated Savage. It is a fine barrel and shoots into 1 inch at 200 yards. I use a 195 Barnes MZ, 60 grains of H-4198, CCI 209m primer, and the blue non ribbed Harvestor sabot. I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 with BC reticle on it with Leupold QD mounts and rings. Sighted 3 inches high at 100 yards it shoots 1 inch high at 200 using the second x wire. These barrels come in 45 or 50 caliber and are a drop in fit on the Savage MZ. You can get the barrel length of your choice and there are several custom options.

schoolmaster said:
Yes I have a double d pac nor barrel in 45 caliber on a bedded laminated Savage. It is a fine barrel and shoots into 1 inch at 200 yards. I use a 195 Barnes MZ, 60 grains of H-4198, CCI 209m primer, and the blue non ribbed Harvestor sabot. I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 with BC reticle on it with Leupold QD mounts and rings. Sighted 3 inches high at 100 yards it shoots 1 inch high at 200 using the second x wire. These barrels come in 45 or 50 caliber and are a drop in fit on the Savage MZ. You can get the barrel length of your choice and there are several custom options.

Have you tried the Hornady 200grain SST's and VV N-110 powder in your 45 cal ?

6pt-sika.I think the 110 would build pressure to fast in a 45 barrel.You may want to go over to the Doug's Message Board and post this questions with the people who are in the know about this.Better safe than sorry.

153 said:
6pt-sika.I think the 110 would build pressure to fast in a 45 barrel.You may want to go over to the Doug's Message Board and post this questions with the people who are in the know about this.Better safe than sorry.

I just checked "Dougs Message Board" and it looks as if 62 grains of H4198 with the Hornady 200 SST will almost reach 2,700 FPS !

So I'm thinking 60-62 grains of H4198 will be the way to go as you suggested earlier !

6 pt I have never used 110 in my 45 barrel as it is not recommended too much pressure in the 45. H-4198 gets the 195 Barnes out the muzzle at over 2600 f/s and that is fast enough for me. 2015 is another powder that is used in the 45 to get some top velocities but I have never tried it. I have shot 200 gr. XTPs with 55 grains of H-4198 into 1.25 inches at 100 yards out of my heavy barrel SMI 45 but have never used them on game. I just prefer Barnes. I shot a doe at 200 yards with the Pac nor 45 barrel and the Barnes mz broke the large leg bone on the near side right up by the shoulder and exited the far side with a 50 cent piece size exit. These bullets I am sure would penetrate and break both shoulders but I am afraid the 200 shock wave and the XTP would not.

schoolmaster said:

Schoolmaster,
I am thinking of getting one of these barrels for my savage from pac-nor.
What options did you go with? Barrel length...what muzzle crown. Did you go with stainless? Sounds like yours shoots good. Thanks for any info.

I talked to Penny at pac-nor this morn. She pretty much told me the options like mentioned in the thread you mention. I just was wondering what barrel length "schoolmaster" went with. He mentioned his was bedded. Putting them into an inch @ 200 yd. is pretty darn good. Just wondered what combo he went with.

What options did you get, rjhans53?

Really there standard 1:22 twist 8 grove, 25", Mine is bedded and the 1st 2" or so of the barrel is bedded also.

You can go over to Dougs board and contact Rick Bibby and he will do barrel, bedding and third pillar if want.

I can vouch for Rick Bibby's (rbinar) work. I bought a 45 Pacnor barrel direct from him this spring. He bedded it and added the 3rd action screw in my stock. This gun will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yds, (if I do my part), with the 200g Hornady SST and the 195g Barnes Expander in the Harvester light blue sabot. My load is 68g of H322 at 2670 fps.

Mine is the standard 1/22 twist 25" stainless Pacnor.

MK85Shooter said:
I can vouch for Rick Bibby's (rbinar) work. I bought a 45 Pacnor barrel direct from him this spring. He bedded it and added the 3rd action screw in my stock. This gun will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yds, (if I do my part), with the 200g Hornady SST and the 195g Barnes Expander in the Harvester light blue sabot. My load is 68g of H322 at 2670 fps.

Mine is the standard 1/22 twist 25" stainless Pacnor.

Thanks for the info guys. I may do the work myself. I know there is a 8 or so week wait to get a barrel from pac-nor too.

Mine took 12 to get and right now I think they are running 10 weeks or so.

rjhans53 said:
Mine took 12 to get and right now I think they are running 10 weeks or so.

10 weeks!!!

What if I tell them Randy Wakeman and I went to different schools together?? :lol: :wink:

squirrelhawker said:
MK85Shooter said:

Do you ever have ignition problems or notice any unburned powder with that load? The 68gr. H322

squirrelhawker said:
squirrelhawker said:
MK85Shooter said:

Do you ever have ignition problems or notice any unburned powder with that load? The 68gr. H322

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. No I have not had any ignition issues with this load nor have I noticed any unburnt powder. I have not had a chance to shoot this load in cold weather yet. That would be the true test of ignition problems.

MK85Shooter said:
squirrelhawker said:
squirrelhawker said:
MK85Shooter said:

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. No I have not had any ignition issues with this load nor have I noticed any unburnt powder. I have not had a chance to shoot this load in cold weather yet. That would be the true test of ignition problems.

Hey MK85,
Also the sabot you speak of is the Harvester smooth?
(not the crush rib)....Thanks :)

For my 45PCNR, I went with a 27" barrel. I would advise against that. It really doesn't gain you much than just added weight. Even if you go with the 25" barrel (same length as a stock Savage 10ML) you're going to gain some weight as the PCNR barrel is a slightly larger OD along with a smaller bore diameter.

My 27" barrel isn't the end of the world, especially since I pretty much just stand hunt with my ML, but if you were going to be still hunting, I would consider 25" a max length. A couple of guys over on Doug's have gone down to 22-23" (some even by choice ;) ) and are still seeing good results.

Latest posts

Back